Sleeping bag help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Our Daughter is doing her D of E after Xmas, so need s a good 4 season sleeping bag.
She feels the cold, is almost 6ft and needs something that packs up small as she takes too much stuff.
Any ideas?
The only cunning plan I have is a good friend is going to Kiev ( spelling ) in Russa, would he be able to get me a good one cheap?
She wont have used.

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Ideally below £100 or nearer 50 if possible, she has a Synthetic bag I paid £40 for from Amazon, its an Echo? its very good but you need a small van to carry it

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I don't think you will get:

New
4 season
Down

Retail in Uk for your desired price, try looking at Vango as the best pure price but I would think Alpkit Skyehigh is your best bet for performance per pound sub 150 but costs more. If you search eBay for marmot sawtooth at the moment you may find one that has 2 days to go and is rated sub zero C (being us marmot talk in F when referring to bags as zero rated).

When and where are they going as DofE expedition season is normally BST in the UK? Wet or dry cold obviously affects things, to be honest down may not be that good a choice, throwing out the excess weight and ruthless team packing would be better.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
"Eurohike is high in warmth and comfort and its down fill insulation makes this an ideal choice for cold temperatures suitable for conditions up to -21C"
I would guess that means suitable in an extreme survavial situation i.e. you'll be freezing but you'll survive?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Unfortunately after a quick look I could not see how much down (500g?) or what type. It also does not say that is an EN temp rating or as you pointed out which one of the three normally cited; comfort, transition and extreme (female, male and just about still alive!) but they all tend to be subjective. Hummmm

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Any good? http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/sl...ibute=628528&gclid=CNqP7Ymk7qwCFcsmtAodI1YhQA

Coupled with a liner, should see her through most UK weather - 2 of the 3 reviews are positive(!)

Personally i'd watch ebay for used down bags, but if she insists on new ....
Thanks very much for this. So impressed I bought our son one too.
They have 40% off at the moment so its takes this off at check out, so paid £35 for a down bag
Two bags, two fleece liners £94.91 inc delivery now thats a result.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi Winchman,

DofE expeditions and practices shouldn't been done in winter. The season is from the end of March to the end of October, avoiding the really bad weather. As such, a three season bag should suffice, depending on conditions, terrain, etc. Of course if she does feel the cold, there's nothing wrong with using a four season (I usually do).

Sleeping bag liners and sleeping mats help an awful lot and shouldn't be ignored.

Hope that helps a bit.

Claudiasboris

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Hi Winchman,

DofE expeditions and practices shouldn't been done in winter. The season is from the end of March to the end of October, avoiding the really bad weather. As such, a three season bag should suffice, depending on conditions, terrain, etc. Of course if she does feel the cold, there's nothing wrong with using a four season (I usually do).

Sleeping bag liners and sleeping mats help an awful lot and shouldn't be ignored.

Hope that helps a bit.

Claudiasboris
Thanks, she really feels the cold so I have got her one with a fleece liner as I feel it should be the best of both worlds.
Now what mats do people reccomend?
Rememeber my tight budget LOL.
I have the self inflating ones at the moment

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
R.E Sleeping mat.

Maybe these will fit in your budget? i havnt had chance to try mine out yet..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SELF-INFL...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item2eb8cdbd36

If they are good enough for our armed forces...
These look identical to the ones Argos sell Litchfield I think, bought our son one last year, he said it was good but difficult to pack when you are 11 LOL.
Spoke to an ex army bloke at carboot who was selling all his kit, mat was exactly the same but shorter.
I just go in the camping shops and see all sorts of fancy ones but are they worth it?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
2 observations as a DofE assessor;

- many kids cannot repack self inflating mats, especially if it is raining and they cant fight with it in the field, as Mum told them to put it in the bag, along with rolling up the sleeping bag to put it in the STUFF sack
:surrender:
- almost inevitably they fail to get everything inside unless regular users (in which case above does not apply) so actually a closed cell foam mat that can be rolled easily and safely attached on the outside is the pragmatic answer. The problem is stopping them hanging the sleeping bag outside as well!

Claudiasboris was more explicit about what I was trying to say

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I was always cold in my alpkit bag... for the money I think you're looking at warm, cheap and used or cold, cheap and new.

Bulk is the issue... good down bags pack small but are expensive, I have never been warmer than in a british army bouncing bomb... but they are hard to find new and are huge when packed.

For a mat... a decent foam one is probably the best idea just because they don't need any attention and are very warm.

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
2 observations as a DofE assessor;

- many kids cannot repack self inflating mats, especially if it is raining and they cant fight with it in the field, as Mum told them to put it in the bag, along with rolling up the sleeping bag to put it in the STUFF sack
:surrender:
- almost inevitably they fail to get everything inside unless regular users (in which case above does not apply) so actually a closed cell foam mat that can be rolled easily and safely attached on the outside is the pragmatic answer. The problem is stopping them hanging the sleeping bag outside as well!

Claudiasboris was more explicit about what I was trying to say

Thanks. They have mastered the big bulky synthetic bag when they have been to sleepovers, the mat, well lets just say they need practice LOL
I fully intend to do some dummy runs as I realise how important it is that they know how to use the equipment they have, our lads up for it but daughter has the oh yea I can do that attitude, but we will make her practice then we know she will be ok with it.
One of the reasons I wanted feather bags is so they can put them inside the rucksack.
Just seen in the press Millets is in the brown stuff, I hope I get my stuff and they dont close!

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
I
Bulk is the issue... good down bags pack small but are expensive, I have never been warmer than in a british army bouncing bomb... but they are hard to find new and are huge when packed.

For a mat... a decent foam one is probably the best idea just because they don't need any attention and are very warm.
Bouncing bomb, I take it you mean the 58 Pattern Down with the water proof base,bags made by the Chelsea Quilt co?
Our daughter is fussy and wouldnt use a used bag, but our son would, dont want him to stand out at school with an old bag and they are heavy and bulky.
I did manage to buy one from the carboot sale for £3 last week, its very good so this will be cleaned and used for his scout camps when they go with no tent, for £3 I cant go wrong
:D
Its interestig to see how rare the feather ones are, I rang the manufacturer to find out what rating they are, she was very helpful and said they still cant believe how many are still about. They only stopped doing them as in the 90s the MOD cost cutting lead to suppliers in the far east cost cutting with synthetic bags, should get an Email today telling me what rating they are.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE