Sleeping bag help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Just seen in the press Millets is in the brown stuff, I hope I get my stuff and they dont close!
Well, my missus is still at work, so I think you'll be fine for now :)

Had a look at those Eurohike bags at the weekend, and interestingly they're full price in store. Seem decent enough. 40% off everything ended today as well

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yeah it's very hard to get any info, of the few sites that do mention the liner fabric it's named as nylon...I know the 90's pattern warm weather liner was in cotton. so maybe this one is too....:dunno:

This might interest you
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7421

I think this:
http://www.militarymart.co.uk//58-Pattern-Sleeping-Bag-Liner/prod_423.html

Is the nylon one, not the one I got.

I just took a lighter to a thread from mine and it melts. So definitely some synthetic material.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bouncing bomb, I take it you mean the 58 Pattern Down with the water proof base,bags made by the Chelsea Quilt co?
Our daughter is fussy and wouldnt use a used bag, but our son would, dont want him to stand out at school with an old bag and they are heavy and bulky.
I did manage to buy one from the carboot sale for £3 last week, its very good so this will be cleaned and used for his scout camps when they go with no tent, for £3 I cant go wrong
:D
Its interestig to see how rare the feather ones are, I rang the manufacturer to find out what rating they are, she was very helpful and said they still cant believe how many are still about. They only stopped doing them as in the 90s the MOD cost cutting lead to suppliers in the far east cost cutting with synthetic bags, should get an Email today telling me what rating they are.

I used to have a 58 pattern but after so many years most of the fill had escaped and it was bitterly cold. Rating or not, age is a big factor. By bouncing bomb I meant the 90 pattern one with synthetic fill... I got mine new and it's very much bomb-like in the compression sack. Dunno about cost-cutting, my experience of down bags in the damp winter of the UK is less than good compared to good synthetic. I was happy in Finland at -32C in it. If your budget was higher, I'd recommend a buffalo sleep system which is also synthetic.

I have also heard very good things about the US issue system (2 bags and a bivvi bag) that can easily be found brand new but have no halds-on experience with them.

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Thanks
I was flapping a bit after hearing all the stuff in the press about Blacks / Millets, I thought my stuff wouldnt come, but just had an Email to tell me its on its way.
I wish my budget was higher too, but things are tight, its compounded by them often going away together, but at least the school is giving the time to what I feel is vital charachter building stuff.
Now just need a bargain ruck sack

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I did email the seller and this was his reply "as i do not have any label on them to say i can only guess, but feels like a brushed cotton or even a wool like material very warm tho".

I bought it.

winchman

Oct 18, 2011
Merseyside
Bags and liners have arrived, look good will have a good look when the kids are at school, liner is almost as big as sleeping bag when packe

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Get her a couple of hot water bottles and a Kelly. She'll be warm as toast. Best to wrap loads of insulation around the bottles, or she'll start the night off too hot and they'll have cooled off too much by morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE