sleeping bag help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 31, 2015
cambridgeshire
Now spring is in the air I want to get my kit completed for some wild camping. First thing on my list of many, is a sleeping bag.

I really I don’t want to spend a fortune, unless it is going to make a huge difference. I don’t mind a compromise on pack size to keep cost down; but don’t want to look like I’m lugging a double quilt around with me.

I have had a look at Snugpack bags, and like the look of the Special forces 1, the much cheaper Navigator and The sleeping Bag.

I really like the special forces 1 because of the central zip. Would the special forces be warm enough to use now at this time of year and also I have heard reports that Snugpack quality has diminished somewhat. The Navigator plus point; is price really but I guess, you get what you pay for ? Any other better brands to look at ?

Appreciate any help you guys and girls can give me ;)

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
What are going to use it with Tarp, Bivi, Tent, Hammock what mat are you using what will you be wearing what altitude will you be camping in so many variables to keep in mind.

Jan 31, 2015
cambridgeshire
Sorry should of said :) I have all three, so will vary from tent to tarp probably won't use it in the hammock and will opt for a quilt type of thing to go along with the hammock under blanket. I haven't got round to mat yet and will be mostly camping in woods and by the river side on kayaking trips

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I have a snugpack tactical 4, which is made in their british factory. It is a good value for money bag, if a little bulky. My other half has the elite 4, which is made in their overseas factory. Folks say there is a difference, but to be honest, I'm happy with the quality of both and have slept in my own below zero in a hammock and had a full night's sleep.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Stay away from it.

Looking at the specs it has a comfort limit of just 5c,

Snugpak specs are well known for being very "optimistic" to say the least, you'll freeze in it this time of year.

I'm a fan of the Softie 10, it has a comfort of -7c, which in Snugpak terms is a about 0 to -2c comfort. That and its only about £30 more.

If you want real warmth for money look at the old issue 90 pattern bag, an excellent bit of kit, never been cold in mine.

Tonyuk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I like the Carinthia sleeping bags, but depending on budget, that might be a bit much (they aren't terribly expensive, but still quite a bit). I found the ratings on them to be pretty good (EN rating, and from experience my body agrees with the EN ratings i found for most of my sleeping bags, so 5c is to 5c for me without being cold, with a liner and long johns/fleece i can easily go lower). Not super light, not super heavy.

If you want to spend more, and get a big difference weight/bulkwise: look for a down sleeping bag, and make sure you can keep it dry. Will give the best bang for the money, but it's more expensive than what i can afford generally speaking ;)

Jan 31, 2015
cambridgeshire
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.
So far then, we have the Snugpak softie elite 5, 10 and tactical 4. I have had a look at the Corinth and they do look a quality bag, In particular the Brenta looks good. This may seem a daft question but, what is the average temp at night time in summer months ? I guess what I'm asking is, are these bags gong to be to warm in the summer or does it still get cold enough to use them and not be to hot.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Tried a snugpak sf 1 bag camping in glencoe last weekend think the temp was 3-4 degrees overnight and I woke up sometime and put a base layer top on as I was a bit chilly naked. If I had to id have got back to sleep without the layer on. I think the temp rating is not far off for me.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
The temperature will be dependant on your region. Here it doesn't really go under 5, and even if it does, the Tropen (the one i have, together with the defense 4) is warm enough under a tarp in a goretex bivy. On the cold nights long johns are recommended ;). Haven't really had a chance to test the defense 4 yet, since it's just not been cold enough, but better a bit too warm, than too cold. You can always open the bottom of the bag to ventilate a bit.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I have an sf2.the central zip is handy as im able to use it as a hammock quilt.the missus uses it now as i have an issue artic bag i got for 30 quid.full length central zip as well . I'll be using it for first time this weekend.the dd jura bags seem to be flying off the shelf.about 60 quid.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Sleeping bags are very important to your overall enjoyment of the camping experience. I always think people should buy the very best they can afford. Cheaper synthetic bags quickly lose their lofting capability. First few uses toasty but their performance drops over time.

Use the money in your budget for an expensive knife and add it to the cash you would spend on a sleeping bag and quality self inflating mattress.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for all the advice, really appreciated.
So far then, we have the Snugpak softie elite 5, 10 and tactical 4. I have had a look at the Corinth and they do look a quality bag, In particular the Brenta looks good. This may seem a daft question but, what is the average temp at night time in summer months ? I guess what I'm asking is, are these bags gong to be to warm in the summer or does it still get cold enough to use them and not be to hot.

If your too hot you can just unzip the bag a bit to let some of the heat out so its not too much of a big issue. Go outdoors do a decent range of Hi-gear sleeping bags, which appart from the naff name seem to be decently made for the price. You can pick up a 4 season one for about £60.00

Snugpak bags are good but there's better makes out there. On the more expensive side there are; Rab, Mountain Hardware, Haglofs, Mamut to name a few & on the lower end you've got brands like Vango, and all of them seem well made and with more accurate ratings.

If your considering other makes i would really recommend something from the Mountain Hardware lamina range, such as this;

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/moun...flame-sleeping-bag-long-d2232279?id_colour=98

Their bags seem very true to rating according to those i know who use them, and are excellent quality.

And don't worry about buying a 'tactical' sleeping bag, they're no better made and in real life you can chuck any old bag into a bivvy and call it tactical.

Tonyuk

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi have you seen the Alpkit sleeping bags? I have the 'Mountain Ghost' (which you often see advertised on the top of this forum!) It's a 2/3 season synthetic sleeping bag with a comfort limit of -0.8 degrees. I can vouch for that limit as I've been using it through winter (got it for christmas!) on camping trips in late Dec, Jan and Feb, either in my hammock or in a bivvy bag. I have slept nice and warm in temperatures that have been very close to the comfort limit wearing nothing more than my long johns and a t shirt. For me the best thing about it though is that it has a similar feel to down and packs down very small. For a few more pennies, Alpkit also do a down bag which my friend has and it also performs very well.

PS: I have nothing to do with Alpkit, just a happy customer!

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Hi have you seen the Alpkit sleeping bags? I have the 'Mountain Ghost' (which you often see advertised on the top of this forum!) It's a 2/3 season synthetic sleeping bag with a comfort limit of -0.8 degrees. I can vouch for that limit as I've been using it through winter (got it for christmas!) on camping trips in late Dec, Jan and Feb, either in my hammock or in a bivvy bag. I have slept nice and warm in temperatures that have been very close to the comfort limit wearing nothing more than my long johns and a t shirt. For me the best thing about it though is that it has a similar feel to down and packs down very small. For a few more pennies, Alpkit also do a down bag which my friend has and it also performs very well.

PS: I have nothing to do with Alpkit, just a happy customer!

Good quality bags considering the price, my only real complaint is that Alpkit's bags seem to be cut for racing snakes.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
If looking for a down bag, perhaps Roberts or Cumulus could be of interest. I see positive testimonials on various forums

Greger

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sleeping bags are very important to your overall enjoyment of the camping experience. I always think people should buy the very best they can afford. Cheaper synthetic bags quickly lose their lofting capability. First few uses toasty but their performance drops over time.

Use the money in your budget for an expensive knife and add it to the cash you would spend on a sleeping bag and quality self inflating mattress.

Seconded, get the best quality bag you can afford, comfort and longevity will be the reward. If you don't mind second hand keep your eye on EBay, Gumtree, etc; you may find a bargain.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Never buy a second hand sleeping bag unless you can test it or you trust the seller a lot. All can be well and you can get a well cared for bag, or you can get the bag which has been stored in the bottom of a closet, with stuff on top of it, compressed in its bag for years ruining the loft. And you can't just see that on a picture or some pictures.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In shape, you might be looking for what we call a "barrel bag," far wider in the middle than at the top & bottom. Finally got a fartsack that I could be comfortable in.
Mine is down on top, fiberfil on the bottom and a filled flap over the zipper.

Packed fill? Toss the beast into the clothes dryer on air fluff with 2 pairs of what you call trainers. Check in 30 minutes. I am amazed that the shoes do so little damage to the skin of the bag but beat the fluff/loft into the insulation so easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE