Sleeping Bag Hammock Cocoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
I was thinking today that one of my lseeping bags is this one;

http://www.intertent.co.uk/product_414-23-97_Vango-Nitestar-300-XL-Square-Sleeping-Bag.htm

It has 2 zips, one for the side and one for the bottom. I'm thinking that if I undo the bottom zip I could thread my hammock through the bag. If I then tighten up the foot end I could use it as an underquilt and sleeping bag all in one. I could even make a slit to feed the hammock back out so that I could still use the hood.

Sounds good in thoery or am I completely barking :dunno:

Paul

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
go for it. I can't see why it wouldnt work...

I made something similar with a poncho and some thermal fleecey material. Might as well give it a go; even if it fails its fun :D

and if it doesnt fail...well you've saved yourself between 60 (UB) and 90(cocoon) quidleys ;)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The Wanderingstar coccoons are a banana shape when they're zipped up, ie thin at the ends and wide in the middle.

Although coccoons and underblankets are excellent bits of kit, I've used my hammock well below freezing with a sleeping bag and karrimat. The only thing that I would do differently if I were to go back to that ( which I may do this summer because it's much lighter, and more versatile ), is to put a lightweight fleece or wool blanket in between the karrimat and the sleeping bag to absorb or wick any condensation away.

Cheers, Michael.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Did s' similar wi' me hennessy.....just used a cheap square edged s'bag from argos..(came free wi' the missus new tent....+ another spare one an' two head tourches..lol).
Strapped it wi' bungees under the hammock....worked quite well!
Any insulation is better than none says I.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not sure there'd be enough room Paul tbh, the cocoons and US pods I've seen tend to be more like what Michael describes in their shape and cut. I've just returned a down Speer Peapod to the States as it wasn't what I ordered, that was basically a large diameter banana shaped tube which cinched at each end and then a full length velcro fastening along the top. I think the trick is getting enough play in it so it doesn't compress when it pulls up under you, but at the same time not making it too big that there's airflow around you.
I never thought to trace the Peapod out and get some measurements for the future :rolleyes:

What might be easier is to go for just an underblanket, getting the fit right should be easier I'd have thought and easier to adjust when you're in.

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
Hmmmm, some interesting points guys.

I camped out laste weekend with fellow boardie Thrups. I used a Snugpak Zero Camo with a thermarest ( idi put a home made UQ under but it didn't really hug the hammock so not counting it) and I was lovely and warm.

The square sleeping bag is nice and large even on my frame so will be interesting to try, see how snug it becomes.

Hey Cambrian,

as an alternative to putting a lightweight fleece or wool blanket in between the karrimat and the sleeping bag to absorb or wick any condensation away.

I use a Goretex Bivvy bag over my Sleeping bag, Its much lighter, and as an added bonus its windproof, waterproof and helps add some warmth to the bag rating.

If been doing it for a few years now, Hammock/Tarp/Sleepingbag - Softie 12/rollmat/and goretex bivvybag.

hope this helps.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I use the Speer Peapod, basically a massive sleeping bag round the hammock. As long as it doesn't squish the insulation, and you still have enough room to lie on a bit of a diagonal, go for it!

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I've got one of the mk2 Coccoon's and find it a great piece of kit. Although I considered having a go at a DIY job I don't really have the skills and to be honest am a bit lazy. For me one of the best points is the ease of entry/ exit compared to using a conventional sleeping bag. Don't get me wrong - I've used sleeping bags and pads before and have been very comfortable in sub-zero temps; it's just that I find a Coccoon-type setup more convenient (especially late at night after a couple of drinks!) Pads also have an irritating habit of sliding around, but this is a non-issue if you have a double-layer hammock like a DD for example. But overall I love my Coccoon - given its size when in use I'm still surprised how small it compresses down. I think Wanderinstar dumped the Softie insulation for some reflectatherm to reduce bulk...

scubapauly

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2009
Hertfordshire
scubapauly.zenfolio.com
I've got one of the mk2 Coccoon's and find it a great piece of kit. Although I considered having a go at a DIY job I don't really have the skills and to be honest am a bit lazy. For me one of the best points is the ease of entry/ exit compared to using a conventional sleeping bag. Don't get me wrong - I've used sleeping bags and pads before and have been very comfortable in sub-zero temps; it's just that I find a Coccoon-type setup more convenient (especially late at night after a couple of drinks!) Pads also have an irritating habit of sliding around, but this is a non-issue if you have a double-layer hammock like a DD for example. But overall I love my Coccoon - given its size when in use I'm still surprised how small it compresses down. I think Wanderinstar dumped the Softie insulation for some reflectatherm to reduce bulk...

Have you got a link to where you got yours from??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE