Sleeping bag for the Mediterranean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
Right now I have a Marmot Trestles 15f. I've been hitchhiking with it over the past half year. Worked great, but at almost 4 pounds, it's a bit heavy and definitely bulky. I have a place I can store my cooler weather kit, so i'm looking at lighter stuff for this spring, summer, and autumn.

I have my eye on the Snugpak jungle bag. Very cheap, lightweight, and packs very small. I should be on the mediterranean for most of the spring and summer - Greece, Turkey, around the black sea as well... Would this suffice? Also, if and when it gets colder, would a fleece liner add a fair bit of warmth? (or maybe even getting a snugpak jacket additionally?)
THe reviews for the warmth rating are making me a wee bit iffy, but at the moment it seems perfect. I have a merino wool base layer, thermal longjohns, and a silk liner which should keep me down to lower temps.. But, figured I'd ask here.

Also, i'll be sleeping in a tenth wonder hornet (with extra windproof/waterproof liner attached under it - dead air pocket as well), with a thermarest ridgerest if I have to. The bags zipper function to fully zip open would be great for hammocking!

Others have recommended the army jungle bag, but it seems heavier, bulkier, and about the same price.

Ideas?

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
To be honest the lighter the better. I doubt you will even need it July and August. A lightweight one will be more than enough.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
You don't need much, the mornings can be chilly but things warm up soon enough, if you are hitchhiking the less you are carrying the better, if you are walking, the less you are carrying the better. :)

I used a couple of thick cotton sheets for some of my longer treks, something along the lines of two schemaghs sewn together, that was all I needed for a long walk around Greece and Turkey.

Something that might be of more use is a simple hammock of some sort, the ants around those areas can be a real pain.

Have fun, post some pics.

:)

Edited to add:

The ground is almost always very rocky and the plant life spiky, another good reason to have a look at a hammock and maybe a decent (non inflating) mat.

Last edited:

allfatherodin

Oct 24, 2011
hitchhiking europe
You guys are reassuring, thanks :D

Have any places in Greece and Turkey to recommend? I hope to visit ruins, battlefields, camp out on beaches when I can.. and just wander around, mostly. I wouldnt mind doing some longer hiking either... I havent done TOO much on this adventure so far.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I can recommend the Lycian Way which runs along part of the Turkish coast, great scenery, lovely folks, just do not leave it till too late into the year, spring is best, the flowers and insects (nice ones) in the high meadows have to be seen to be believed.

No shortage of places to camp inland or on the coast, although folks will put you up or let you sleep in the mosque if you need to, lots of abandoned cities too.

mholland

Jan 3, 2013
cheltenham
I highly rate the jungle bag, i've had a couple (only reason is the first disappeared), really small pack size, lots of foot space, and and mozi net is a bonus

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
If you want inland with stunning scenery try the E4. Island hopping is easy but be warned it is no longer a cheap option. If you are camping a mozzie net is a must. Kefalonia is a good island to explore as is Crete. I believe Turkey would be a cheaper option but I have no experience of walking there. Good luck it's a great thing to do.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sleeping bag for spring and summer in Greece is not that necessary, unless you're trekking on mountains. Get a fleece liner and a mosquito net, or more preferrably a small mosquito net tent.

Mainland Greece has too many places to visit, like for instance Meteora in Central Greece (some scenes of James Bond's "For Your Eyes Only" were shot there), nearby Mount Olympos, Pylion, Ioannina, Chalkidiki, Mount Athos (you'll need to make an arrangement in order to visit and stay in a monastery) etc.

As for islands, Ionian or Aegean? If Ionian, Lefkada

csropw8.jpg

http://greecebeaches.net/article-46-1.html

If Aegean, Rhodos and do a small trip to nearby Kastelorizo and it's Blue Cave

[video=youtube;sKjWfkCmEmk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjWfkCmEmk[/video]

As for camping, be aware there are few places that allow free camping. And generally also be aware of prices, thefts, taxis, illegal emmigrants, Greek drivers etc. :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Greek drivers etc. :rolleyes:..."

Greek drivers, the forth worst drivers on earth. :)

For Greece I'd add Mystras (an abandoned Byzantine city), Monemvasia (but late or earlier in the year to avoid the tourist crush) and for islands, Naxos, I once circumnavigated it by foot which was a bit rough but fun. :)

Above all have fun and avoid any worries about theft by taking practically nothing with you.

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
The Snugpak Jungle Bag is great. It's light, packs small and can opened out to be blanket and has a small internal security pocket.
Combined with an MOD bivi bag and a Thermarest it is my kip set up for summer here in Ireland.
The mossie net is a bit annoying though, it works fine but rests on your face.
Happy trails...torc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE