Sleeping bag for Tall People

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robster

Sep 15, 2014
St Albans United Kingdom
Hey Guys/Girls

i wanted to post a question as i need some help - i am in the market for a 4 season sleeping bag - however standard length is not good enough for me as i am 6.5ft tall -I've seen the Snugpak extra long but they do come at a price from what I' have found out its likely i will have to pay out the extra cash

So are there any vertically challenged people like myself who have solved this problem?

if i got to pay however i am willing to invest as its a crucial piece of kit but thought i would see if there was any alternative before i shell out my hard earned cash.

my last sleeping bag was way too small and certainly did not make the "outdoors" experience a good one now with my new found passion for Bushcraft
i want to make sure i do not compromise on the essentials.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated..

Rob

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got a Marmot bag in their XL size. It was up to 6'6" but I found it huge. Ended up sleeping with my arms folded aboive/over my head but within the sleeping bag hood and I am also 6'5" tall.

I later got a golite quilt in XL which is perfect for me since I can wrap it around me (I am tall but not American sized with it - sorry but IME US brands are boxy in shape so any sleeping bag in XL from a US brand tends to wrap around me a few times).

Both of those I got from a shop near me that used to get both brands as end of lines or at really cheap prices. I got the Marmot fusion 30 for £139 and the golite quilt (the version down to -7C and in XL) for £100 down from over £250 IIRC. That golite was back when they were still good and did things light.

I only mention these because there are many brands who do longer bags even if that means a special order and a slight premium. IIRC Rab used to cost about £30 more for extra length about 10 years ago when I started looking.

Worth the money for a longer bag as squashing down at the foot end due to it being too short is a sure fire way to get incredibly cold feet such that they wake you up. Got that from experience.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I think defence 4 is a 3-season, at least it's sold as such in Sweden.
I have been cold in mine on at least one occasion when the temps dropped more than anticipated. Then again, -10C, damp conditions and some wind is perhaps the worst condition to handle for a sleeping bag, when in the open air.
As advertised over here, you need to add the Carinthia tropen inside it to make it true 4-season, but that's an excellent summer bag aswell, so you'll not feel sorry for buying that.

You're on the right path for size. I'm 6.1ft, not thin, and use the normal sized carinthias, with room to spare.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
If you get the defence 4, you won't be sorry. -16c is the advertised 'comfort' rating, i've probably been in mine down to about -6 or 7 and been ok. I can imagine it would be a 3 season bag in countries where winter is likely to get below -16 though!

As Pysen says, you can double it up with a Carinthia Tropen - plenty availiable on ebay sold as ex dutch army warm weather seeping bags. They have a built in (optional) mosquito net. You get lucky and find an extra long one of those too.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I am 6'5'' too and use the Defence 4/ Tropen combo - best sleeping bags I've ever used for comfort. I've had other "longer" bags but they were never wide enough in the chest and the Carinthia bags are perfect. The Defence 4's comfort rating is well below most UK 4 season bags and if you use both bags together you are good to -40!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Both my Defence 4 and Tropen are in the longer length. I got my Tropen from Germany a couple of years ago but you can now get them from Heinnies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE