sleeping bag cover drawstring problem

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scumble

Apr 30, 2011
Sussex
Hi
Sorry if this has already been covered but I couldn't find it in a search.
I've recently moved on to using a DPM goretex sleeping bag cover but I've found the drawstring round the hood to be useless.
I'm expecting to be able to close the opening in the same way I can with my sleeping bag, is this how they work or am I expecting too much?
I've tried replacing the flat lace type string with paracord but need to get a smaller diameter, before I do that are there any known modifications that can be done to close the hood?
I'm not after sealed tight just closed to reduce the amount of me exposed to the elements.

thanks

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I found with the issue bags that once pulled tight the draw cord would jam up much the way you describe.My solution was to feed the jammed part around the cord untill it freed up and the pull tight again.This worked for mee.

scumble

Apr 30, 2011
Sussex
yup jams solid as you say.
good to know it's the design and not a dodgy bag,
my theory is that there is just too much material to bunch up properly from the single pull point it has, so I'll try different cord that should have less friction and add a couple of more points to pull from, see if that helps

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
It gets easier the more often you do it.
At home some night in front of the TV tighten and loosen the tape and work the bunched up material back and forth a good few times.
It will not solve the problem completely but closing the bag will get easier.
Happy trails...torc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE