Skylarks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Skylarks can be heard year-round - they're UK residents.

I remember hearing one on a frosty Winter day and it took me by surprise just because it's a sound one normally associates with Summer.
But here (in the south east, at least) they are year round residents and can be heard any time of the year. Maybe in the far north they may migrate south, but I wouldn't have thought Derbyshire counts as northern enough.

I always feel that Spring has begun when I hear the first Chiff Chaff. Not heard one yet, but I would expect to by the end of the month.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The sound of Skylarks above me, Curlews haunting call and two valve per pot four cylinder motorbikes wailing away in the distance are like the soundtrack of my childhood.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
That's great! I was walking over the hills around us today and there was noticeably more birdsong. Signs of a new start :)
Skylarks can be heard year-round - they're UK residents.

I remember hearing one on a frosty Winter day and it took me by surprise just because it's a sound one normally associates with Summer.
But here (in the south east, at least) they are year round residents and can be heard any time of the year. Maybe in the far north they may migrate south, but I wouldn't have thought Derbyshire counts as northern enough.

I always feel that Spring has begun when I hear the first Chiff Chaff. Not heard one yet, but I would expect to by the end of the month.
Weird that..never see them until spring approaches, yet chiff chaff are ten to a dozen here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE