Skookum Carver, Deep Oil Treatment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Skookum Carver, Deep Oil Treatment

My Skookum Carver came from Rod with Arctic Birch scales. From the feel and smell of it I am guessing Rod soaked the wood in Linseed oil. Looking back through my knives I have noticed a fairly small representation of natural wood scales. I have some stabilized wood, some varnished Scandi’s, but very few natural oiled wood scales. I decided to give the Skookum Carver a bit more oil. I have really liked the way my spoons have turned out using Flax seed oil, so decided to give the Skookum a soaking with it….then I got a better idea. (At least I hoped it was a better idea).

skookumoil2255qp1.jpg

I covered the edge with a piece of split plastic tubing (from a Maynard Linder ulu) and place it in a heat sealable bag (Tilla bag….Foodsaver machine). I made the bag extra long. I added about 15 mL of flax oil to the pouch and then vacuum sealed the knife in the oil. The bag compressed right around the knife very tight and I could immediately see small bubbles of air coming out of the wood at the end grain and a bit later all over the surface of the wood.

skookumoilcu2263og1.jpg

I left this pouch rolled and upright to allow the oil to always be above the wood for 3.5 days. Daily I would work the little bubbles up the scales to the air gap above the oil….each day I could see that the oil level had declined. The small bubbles had slowed down greatly by day 3 and the pouch was loose on the knife, so I opened it up, added more oil and let the knife rest at atmospheric pressure for another day.

I then pulled it out and lightly sanded the scales with 400grit and more flax oil.

Before I treated it the knife weighed 116g, after it is 122g. So my deep treatment added 6g of oil. Quite a bit I think. The feel is great too.

Flax oil will cure in about 6 months time according to Sundvist.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Great idea Randy. I'm not too concerned about mine because the natural wood one I'm reserving for the shop and my field one has stabilized wood. However, even in the shop wood can eventually dry and crack so I'll probably put a coat of oil on mine every once in awhile.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Brilliant Idea Randy.That is effectively the way timber carcassing is treated for the construction industry.(vac-vac)
The timber is put in a vacuum chamber and the air removed,the 'poison' is then added which is drawn into the timber.The chamber is then re-pressurised which forces the poison deeper into the wood.
It should be the deepest oiled knife around!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE