Skip find of the day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
That looks minted, and the box and book are in such good condition that I'd bet the machine has been barely used.
I take it back; that's not a good find, that's a brilliant find :D :D

Enjoy.

Toddy

It was owned by a seamstress at my local market where I have a stall, but she has left due to the current economic climate. I found it in the skip???
I'm pretty sure it wasn't her main user but maybe a back up?!
I'm just hoping that she doesn't turn up asking for it back!!!
Thanks for the links the ones on refurbishment and sewing test will be really useful! 😊
D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the condition of things, like the book, the bobbin winder rubber bit, the cable for the presser foot that made me think that it hadn't actually had much use.
Opening up things like the bobbin case to clean out oose will give you a better idea, I expect.
If the motor died (rubber perishes) then repairs are expensive unless you know someone capable. Maybe it was just tosed as a write off.

atb,
M

craig

Tenderfoot
I have one of those, it needed the motor stripping and cleaning up and a good oil, but its a great machine. Mine had an original pedal but that soon gave up got a new one of ebay which now gives me a lot more control.

Craig.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
A bit more info today.... it was binned because the motor was shot...
It wasn't, the belt had come off and was snagged behind the pulley . It was a devil to free but after about an hour of fiddling I freed it. It made the motor very slow and made it look like it was at fault.
Well see how it works/ how it stitches.
I'll keep you posted d

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dave, I'll offer you your first commission ....I want an old Swanni hemmed up a bit. I'll be in touch.....

Er er ok stu I'll practice on your very expensive shirt!!! 😳
No seriously once I've got it up to speed I'd do that for ya no worries d

Apr 19, 2011
Scotland
I've never understood why people throw out these machines. Being a Singer, they go forever. Also being a Singer, you can contact them and still buy spares for nearly every machine they have ever made.

I am going to pick up my 4th Singer sewing machine today. It's a Singer 29k15 leather 360 patcher, in need of lots of tlc. It will join my 1922 99k, my 1950's scrap yard purchase Capri 413 (paid £10 for that), and my modern Singer (plastic, but lots of different stitches).

Don't be shy about contacting Singer for advice, the women techies can strip and rebuild these machines with their eyes closed, and are happy to advise.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Fantastic find,

Good luck getting it going, you will have a great little machine there.

I was lucky enough to get one of the treadle singers a few years back. Its high on the things to do list, just needs a new belt ,a bit of oiling and the top sanded back and re varnished.

atb

Craig.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE