skinning knife plus hide maker, advice needed for a noob please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crimsonred

Mar 20, 2010
shropshire
hi, i have been airgunning for a while now, mainly pest control ie rooks and magpies, rats. i am now shooting rabbits and squirrels due to being granted a new permission and am keen to eat what i shoot. i have been looking at all types of knives that could maybe serve 2 purposes- hide building and skinning- mainly because the idea of walking around armed with a rifle and 2 different knives doesn't appeal to me. i'm newish to this site and know that if anyone can help me on this, its you guys. if you are able to recommend a small foldable skinner or even a fixed blade with a maximum of 3inch blade, or even a good fixed blade that can cope with both jobs without loosing its edge too quickly i would appreciate it. by the way, 'cheapish' can stretch from 10 to 100 pounds as long as the high end price reflects a long wearing tool that i will not need to replace for a good few seasons. thanks in advance

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, someones going to mention them, so I may as well go first. Check out Moras knives, they do everything from skinners to bushcraft knives in O1 and stainless from £8 to £30. Quality knives, so you may want to get a skinner and bushcraft knife for other chores. The clipper and most of their knives will do both however.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Mora-Knives/c-1-92-304/

crimsonred

Mar 20, 2010
shropshire
hi, had a look at the clipper and it is about the size i am after, plus it is so cheap. that would probably do for this season until i can learn a bit more about bushcraft.i've been looking at the knives on this site and this seems like an ideal starters blade. i remember when i was younger i'd always look at fixed blades with the biggest shiniest blade, but now i realize that a blade can be efficient regardless of size as long as it is well made and handled properly.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The clipper is great, it won't let you down. Go for stainless steel if you are skinning stuff though, much better than O1 IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE