skinning a dogfish

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
caught my first doggie last night and want to use the skin for sandpaper (and eat the inside).
Any tips in skinning and also anyone reccommend a good way to cook apart from deep frying!
Ta
Flux

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
You will need a big nail, a knife and a couple of pairs if pliers. Nail its head to a sturdy post or tree stump then carefully cut skin round behind its gills. you should then be able (some messing may be needed) to grab the skin at either side with the pliers and pull! Good in fish pie.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
You will need a big nail, a knife and a couple of pairs if pliers. Nail its head to a sturdy post or tree stump then carefully cut skin round behind its gills. you should then be able (some messing may be needed) to grab the skin at either side with the pliers and pull! Good in fish pie.

coulden't have said it any better

bernie

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
i was always led to believe that dogfish made poor eating. we used to use them for bait:dunno:

is this not the case then?

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
used to catch a few back in the day when i lived by the sea. the old man is set in his ways and wasnt open to trying anything new. like i said, would use them for bait or chuck them back in. whats the best way to cook the little devils then? they're pretty tough arent they?

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
i was always led to believe that dogfish made poor eating. we used to use them for bait:dunno:

is this not the case then?

Dogfish is the stuff your chippie sells as 'Rock Salmon'

Tastes great to me

Cheers
Nick

ps I'd be interested to know how is works out as sandpaper!

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
The skinning tips are good, but perhaps try cutting off the dorsal fin afore ye start to make it a little easier.
I prefer to stick 'em on the barbie with the skin on, cos when cooked it peels off easy. I presume the same would apply if you grilled or baked them - but I never tried.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Has been sold as 'scampi' when breaded and deep fried in a few places I know of. And when I was working as a chef we had some come in occasionally, 'usually from me lol', just treat pretty much the same as monkfish. Yes really! remarkably similar texture etc. Just sear in a hot pan then bake in the oven with fennel, slug of vermouth some salt and corriander.

Or try a doggy, razor clam and mussel kebabs, works really well in curries as it's a firm fleshed fish, put chunks of doggy and lemon wedges on skewers on the barbie/beach fire, roast with chilli flakes, garlic and salt. There is tons more i've written in my 'own' recipie book, i'll have a look later.

I really need to write a bushcraft recipie book, dont ya think???

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Been thinking about putting together a 'gourmet' recipie book made up of bushy ingredients that people can gather for nowt. Watch this space ;)

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I cut the fins off and followed the pliers instructions. Pretty physical but worked really well.
Got the oven on at gas 4 and about to bake with butter lemon and rosemary cause thats what I've got and there are hungry peeps to feed. cheers

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
very nice indeed. Why were all the other nightfishers chucking them back on Tuesday?
I've fleshed the skin and tacked it to a board to dry to what I guess is fish rawhide. Hell of a lot quicker than last weeks red deer!
Conclusion - Eat more Dogfish:)

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
Like mentioned above, dog fish is better known as Rock in the old chippy, it's more of an acquired taste i reckon, for those who like strong fishy taste! my cat loves the stuff, while i personally dont.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
You can improve the taste of any fish by bleeding it immediately after killing it. Despatch the fish with a blow or 2 on the head and slash the gills straight away with a knife or cut through with scissors, and the heart will pump out the blood. It improves the taste of the flesh and the fish won't go bad so quickly. If you do this straight away the fishes heart will pump for a good few seconds after the fish has died. Alternitively just cut the gills straight away although it's a little barbaric.
Sharks, skates, and rays don't have skeletons as such like other fish, just cartilage and they produce salt from within the body as opposed to gaining it from the sea water as with other fish.
One of the salts that this family produces from proteins in it's body (can't remember the name of it now) starts to turn into ammonia soon after the fish dies so if you make a habit of bleeding the fish it will improve the taste of the fish. Treated this way doggies are perfectly good fish to eat.
I bleed all the fish I catch because I find it improves the taste anyway. Fish not in this family start producing lactic acids after death which make the fish decompose more quickly so if you bleed the fish they'll keep fresher for longer. Especially mackerel go off quickly in the sunshine. Bleed them and gut them and put them under the wet pebbles near the tide line to keep them cool or bury them in wet sand in a plastic bag till you're ready to go home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE