Skin problems caused by working with old wood and steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Have you thought about wearing barrier cream on your hands? It makes them much easier to clean afterwards

I'd agree with that. Or use the disposable rubber / nitrile gloves that mechanics wear these days.
They are pretty cheap to buy in boxes of 100. I've got into the habit of always using them in the workshop. Makes clean up really quick.

Cheers
Bryan

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
I'd agree with that. Or use the disposable rubber / nitrile gloves that mechanics wear these days.
They are pretty cheap to buy in boxes of 100. I've got into the habit of always using them in the workshop. Makes clean up really quick.

Cheers
Bryan

Go careful with the nitrile ones! One of my ex employers would only supply nitrile gloves (no latex) and wearing the gloves resulted in dermatitis starting on my hands. After a battle, supported by Occy health, they supplied me with powder free latex gloves. The dermatitis subsided and my hands stopped bleeding!
My sensitivity is weird though as most folks are allergic to latex (powdered or non powdered) and fine with nitrile.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Go careful with the nitrile ones! One of my ex employers would only supply nitrile gloves (no latex) and wearing the gloves resulted in dermatitis starting on my hands. After a battle, supported by Occy health, they supplied me with powder free latex gloves. The dermatitis subsided and my hands stopped bleeding!
My sensitivity is weird though as most folks are allergic to latex (powdered or non powdered) and fine with nitrile.
Good point - a lot of people don't get on with the powdered gloves. I tend to use non-powdered latex as they leave you with a decent sense of touch and Nitrile when I need something that is oil/solvent proof for longer periods e.g. cleaning stuff with paraffin.

Cheers
Bryan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wearing gloves while cleaning is fine, but to wear them all day for weeks on end while warping up and weaving will be miserable :sigh: and I don't know anyone who can spin wearing gloves, come to think on it.

cheers,
M

I'm allergic to Lanolin, I constantly got from clipping and lambing. Have you ever considered that it's possibly a reaction to that, certain fleeces have higher yields, it would also explain why you haven't been affected as you may not be sensitive to it. But on the note of house keeping, it's never a bad idea.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Over the years I've done quite a lot of work on old vehicles, old tools and so on, and I'd imagine I've been exposed to similar contaminants as the OP.

However I'm in the habit of always wearing nitrile gloves for this type of work, and I've never ever had any hint of excema. Saves a lot of time on handwashing too !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE