Skin on Kayak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Been rather busy with lots of things but the kayak frame is almost finished - a little trimming, sanding, oiling and steam bending the cockpit.
The arched deckbeam was once an oak whiskey barrel stave - still smells of 12 year old.:) I will skin this up in June.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Not bad Patrick.....it'll do fo lads int village :p
Patricks pearl will be getting re skinned shortly;)
zajyzepu.jpg

Hope your kin n folk are well ?
Love n kisses from yer hick backwoods in Yorkshire :thumbup:

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
It should be in the water at the end of the year Red - I will post a pic up from its launch day :)

Good to hear from you Chiseller, I hope you and yours are well - its good to see the Pearl is alive and kicking after all this time. I think you should donate it to the Pitt Rivers museum and build The Pearl 2 ....then we could paddle the seas looking for grog and plunder......:)

Take care.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It should be in the water at the end of the year Red - I will post a pic up from its launch day :)

Please do - alongside the bullhide coracle you will be starting a "skin boat" collection!

It always makes my own little projects seem a bit inadequate when I see your creations :). Ah well - back to the beehives!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful Patrick - thanks for posting the update - lovely photos on the loch side too! The woodwork is magnificent on that puppy :)

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
Busy summer working on the raw materials for a number of projects.

S
Sweet chestnut inner bark - woven containers

Lime fibre in a few weeks

Bark mix for tannin soloution

Hide soaking up the bark juice

This one is ready for finishing - some leather craft projects I think.

Scraped an partially bark tanned cow hide on the left - it will go back in the juice for a couple of weeks and then stretched over
the new coracle frame. I still have two more cow hides to scrape and thin for the kayak in a couple of weeks :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All looking great Patrick (except the lime bark picture which isn't showing for me)...puts my own projects to shame!

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
I have a bit of time today so I thought I should update this thread, the kayak is finished and I have been working on the various kit that it will need.
I hope my adaptations will function well on the Scottish shore.

Cow skins ready for the Selkie

It looks like 3 seams will be needed

Thhe first cut ....scary

Initial stretch over the frame and marked for cutting

Tension looks good

Seating area

Cockpit being sewn in place

Hide offcuts being cut and cured for decking

Soaked in Oak tannin

Once cured it was twisted up into rope

The rope was then soaked in a mix of beezwax, oil and birch tar and I turned some elm into deck sliders

The kayak needed to carry fishing harpoons and here is the holders

I used thes old spears as a guide for fit, new ones with antler and bone will be made up soon

I need to fish so a new hand line was created using nettle,flax, birch tar, bone, elm, pebble

The boat has been hand stitched and soaked in beezwax but it also needed a spray deck this was made from roe and soaked in a mix of oil and beezwax

I will be using a creel from the kayak so this 120ft of elm rope was made and sealed with the wax and oil mix

More to follow soon.............

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Patrick this has been my favourite thread for many years. The kayak is outstanding even by your impeccable standards. I am waiting for the final photos with baited breath!

Red

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Like everything else i've seen that you've made it's a real work of art, can't wait to see the reports from the adventures it takes you on.

Sitting here shamefully laughing at myself for complaining at myself for the work involved in deflating and inflating my Intex explorer

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The depth of your knowledge, your skills and your broad vision of the project leave me speechless with admiration and respect................:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE