Skills and how they learned

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you adapt skills to suit your needs of follow them exactly how you were taught?

• Adapt the skill

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Exactly how it’s taught

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm waiting, maybe tomorrow, for amputation surgery.
Bad circulation as a diabetic complication...
I sleep at home now. Wilderness is 15-30 minutes away.

Google Kettle River Guides. I'm on the Home Page with the turkey.
Click on the cougar to see how big those cats can get with a steady deer diet.

Good luck RV; I wish you well and speedy recovery.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Tonight I slept on a camping ground at Bergerac, not far away from Bordeaux.

I used a piramide tent (Luxe outdoor SilHexpeak V4a) without attached inner tent or ground sheed, just the outer tent, and put a military poncho under me.

I choosed a place that was round about 5 cm higher than the ground around.

During the night we got really heavy rain, totally unexpected for the most other campers.

The water entered all the tents around me. Everybody got a wet sleeping bag. The modern tent constructions didn't help them anything.

My equipment stood dry of course, because I know how to choose the place to put a tent.

That's the difference between right and wrong way to do it.

The same is the packing list.
Most people carry far to much stuff around, the rucksacks filled up with "ultralight" equipment are bulky and really heavy. I carry usually 34 litres of equipment and food. Without water, food, fuel and soap that's round about 6 kg. That's the right way to do it. A rucksack of more than 13 kg for a summer hike is simply the wrong way to do it.

Or let's look at the knife:
A light fix blade knife with blade up to 10 or maximal 12 cm is the right choice for trekking and bushcraft. Even an ultra light Opinel No8 folding knife or Victirinox Compact or Climber can do the job.
To carry something larger around simply is the wrong way, because it isn't handy and to heavy.

Spare clothing to change once if you wash your main clothing are the right way, if needed with additional warm layers.
2x spare clothing is usually a beginners fault if you go for hiking, independed how long you travel.

And so on and so on, and so on....

Couldn't disagree with you more! :)

All you've quoted is your 'right' way of doing things; life and the outdoors is more complex than that.

Reactions: Wayland

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Couldn't help it. Most of my lessons are learned the hard way.

40be34a300aa8d3a10b08ac6d24054b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE