Skill sharing weekend. March 12th, 13th, 14th, 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you intending to come along for the weekend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How do you pitch yours ?

I have a firebowl like the one at Comriecroft that I use under my chute. I'm hoping we can get poles cut to get the chute pitched though.

I do have a set of extendable windsock poles that were intended to be used with the chute, but whether they'd work or not, we've never tried. I'm reluctant to use them near a fire tbh. Fine if it's under a working area chute though. That way if it comes down it's not an issue.

cheers,
Toddy

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
will probably need another fire bowl if there are say a minimum of 17 folks going judging by the poll at the moment, if its a cold night you wont get all huddled roon.

I think ill get there on Friday afternoon at 2 or 3ish, might stop at B&Q and get a new blade for the bow saw no doubt russ will have brought half the Forrest down from the hill by then and be needin sawin :)

Stoo

Last edited:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Yes I am bringing my parachute as well. It is a single infantry parachute, so not huge, but will still shelter a dozen people, I would say. Will we have the usual firepit as well ? If not I can supply one at a pinch, or a cooking grill on legs, or murrika etc etc. Since I'm just down the road I think I will stick it all in the back of the Landie anyway.

NS

nonsuch said he has one and i can bring along the one you gave me to russ, firebowl that is

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Ive got one of the full size ones pre cut out at work I just need to cut and drill the legs for it :) and ive a new set of cooking bars to go on top of it to :)

cheers Russ

Last edited:

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
cool, we will be able to do a drum band during the day when they not all in use ! :D

bandsd1.jpg

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
i should be there fri afternoon around 2'ish, i dont have much to bring but will gladly help out & contribute in any way i can once i'm there.

not long now!!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
How do you pitch yours ?

I usually sling a rope over a convenient overhead branch which I suppose is rather restricting on location. If there isn't a convenient overhead branch then I move ! I suppose some kind of pole arrangement would enable us to pitch it where requred.

I wonder with such a large group size whether CC would let us just build a big long-lay fire on the ground, or in a shallow trough, rather than have two smallish firepits ? We could always lift and replace turf. It'll mean a lot less sawing that way.

BTW TBH I would rather someone else could provide the second firepit if required as mine is a rather gucci stainless steel garden item and probably isn't big enough !

NS

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What height do you need for your chute Nonsuch ?

No worries on the extra fire bowl, if Russ brings one along that should give us three.

Long fires are good things at times. I suspect that this is one of those wait and see how many folks we end up with on site.
The hall as a teaching/ working/ reading area will help I think.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tbh I don't know.
If you can get them in the car without them being a bother though........ :D can't see them going amiss :)

cheers,
M

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Just spoken to Andrew at CC asking if I could dig a hole for a hungi...no problem as long as the ground is left as found if turf is removed. There are other place for the pit...one would be just over the wall by the parachute where there is no turf.

I've got quite a big salmon in the freezer I was going to bring and quite fancied cooking it this way. Maybe others would like to cook stuff that way too. Another idea would be to build a mud oven...something I've never done but quite fancied doing though might need a bit guidance if other have.

I'm looking to get there Friday morning.

Vince

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Mary, from what I know you've had experience making a mud/clay/earth whatever it is lol, oven...what would I need to make one? Is there enough time to make one or do they need time to dry out first?

If anyone else knows I'd appreciate some feedback.

Vince

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The clay ovens at the crannog were built over a basketwork frame and have to be kept sheltered.
The basketry took a day to make. Then the clay was plastered over and the whole thing was allowed to dry out a bit before a small fire was lit and the structure was dried out some more. Then it was burned in. Effectively the willow is burnt to charcoal within the clay but this allows the structure to partially fire and become stable.

I really don't know if it could be done wet.

I do know that I contacted Vacua therm last time I needed pottery clay and I spoke with them about building clay ovens, chimnea and the like. They supply kiln cements and the assorted kiln furntures and clays. They're based in Burnbank, not far across the river from me.

Anyway, I was advised that they had a kiln lining repair cement/clay, that could be used to construct the ovens. Once built there would be no problem using the oven right away, *and* not only would this fire the cement, which is a low temperature ceramicising one, but it would become a weatherproof structure :D
I didn't get a price on this clay though, knowing damned fine I'd want some :rolleyes: :eek: and HWMBLT already moans about all the stuff I have in the garden :sigh:

They were very helpful people, and if you want to talk with them I'll find the contact details.

cheers,
M

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
Thanks for the info Mary...might give it a miss if it's going to take a while to build...think a hungi will do to start with but at some point I would like to build an oven. Might see if Andrew would let me build a permanent one there.

V.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
can u turn up for this weekend or do u have to book it , not sure if i'm working yet ... cheers

Give me a heads up if you can, but either way, as Tam says, "If ye want to come. ye come. Simples :D "

Thanks for the info Mary...might give it a miss if it's going to take a while to build...think a hungi will do to start with but at some point I would like to build an oven. Might see if Andrew would let me build a permanent one there.

V.

One could certainly be built over the weekend, but tbh I think since it's a kind of permanent thing that maybe having a discussion this time round with George and maybe finding out about the weatherproof clay/cement might be the best bet. They really need dry footing I'm told, especially in our climate.

cheers,
M

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
well I would like to be there uni work and money permitting.

will bring the forge along again if I make it.
then you can all have a go and buy things off me ;) :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE