skiing doo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
This is a blade that Stuart Mitchell made me ages ago.
I wanted it to look old and used so i went for simple bog oak scales with nickel silver pins and then etched with some vinegar.
I have been using it in the kitchen to work on the patina but it still needs a lot more use to get it looking like i want it.
I'm not sealing the scales and hopefully they will warp and move a little to help the ageing process.
I'm letting SWMBO wash it and leave it to dry with the other cutlery, again to mess with the scales and encourage a little rust.
Sheath is designed so that you can remove it from the frog, it means it works for belt carry but can also be quickly slipped into a pocket / pack or set down and still be safe.
I'm not sure how it will work out but time will tell.
The leather needs a lot of wear and tear to get marked and faded to match the knife.
In the end i want it to look like something that could have been found on a bog mans belt :D .

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Superb work.
I found out recently that the original handle for a skean dubh (dark knife) was juniper. Traditionally it was hidden under the armpit (ie dark or hidden knife) and it was the sweat of the armpit that turned the juniper wood black, the traditional handle colour.:yuck:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
You feel for them with your thumb, if they are not there then your thumb is on the blade so you don't press down hard or red stuff leaks out ;)

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks lads, im thinking the sheath should be darker brown or maybe even black, might make another when i have time or over dye this one.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thats a fantastic bit of leather work there :You_Rock_

The leather needs a lot of wear and tear to get marked and faded to match the knife. In the end i want it to look like something that could have been found on a bog mans belt

I'd be delighted to offer my 'wearing in services' to you :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE