Sit spots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Apart from the obvious comfort, no ants nest, wasps etc. What do you look for when choosing your spot?

The experience I get from various places within my local haunt is quite different over a relatively short distance.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I would say somewhere you can be abosrbed into the spirit of the wood.
Probably a broad leaf wood is better than a plantaion of softwoods IMO.

Where neither you nor the wood will be too disturbed by passing elephants - sorry that should be walkers - so not near footpaths etc. or near other obvious areas visited by humans.

And somewhere you have permission to be.

Cheers

Mark

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Buckshot said:
I would say somewhere you can be abosrbed into the spirit of the wood.
Probably a broad leaf wood is better than a plantaion of softwoods IMO.

Where neither you nor the wood will be too disturbed by passing elephants - sorry that should be walkers - so not near footpaths etc. or near other obvious areas visited by humans.

Mark
I'd go with that. I like shade and sometimes (though not often) I do like a spot where I can see the elephants but they can't see me :wink:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I enjoy sitting and just watching People when I go down to Inverness, rushing about and going nowhere.
I'm always glad to get home, and it makes me realise how nice life is and how I wouldn't want to change it and the simple fact that money isn't everything. :roll:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well DG liked a spot on the floor of his Yurt where he could look out door across the fields and eat his breakfast.
My favorate was a bench by the river, wher the dog liked to swim and have a good snuffle around.
So most of all comfortable, easy access. Some where en route - mine are on regular walks that i do with the dog.
Anywhere were you have easy access to and are prepared to go to, with a good view of a bit of nature.
Don't make it deep in the woods that you have to take a weaving path and hours trek to get to. Make it the bus stop and get there ten minutes early, or the patio at the back of your house while you drink a cup of tea in the morning. Some where as regular part of your routine. So that you can get to know its inhabitants, plants and animals, who lives where what they are eating, when they flower and seed. Its as much about sitting still for a while as what you can watch.
just my experience :?:
Cheers
Rich

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
DG is David Goodworth of the Wild Life School. Who's opinion, experience, knowledge and friendship I value very highly. :p

Cheers
Rich

leon-1

Wayne said:
Apart from the obvious comfort, no ants nest, wasps etc. What do you look for when choosing your spot?

The experience I get from various places within my local haunt is quite different over a relatively short distance.

Hmmm, sit spots. What do I look for????

A bar, my local sit spot has quite an amount of wildlife I can enjoy watching whilst enjoying a relaxing pint :eek:):

In all honesty, I have a little copse of mixed wood with an infrequently used track, just of the track is a Douglas fir (well I think it's a Douglas), there is enough light that you see things, but at the same time it provides enough shade that you do not roast on a hot day, it is far enough away from traffic that you're not disturbed and there is enough wildlife in the copse and surrounding fields that you would have to be the unluckiest person on the planet not to see anything.

This weekend I stalked to within 5 feet of a squirrel at my great aunts before it rumbled me, when he ran for it I am not sure who was most shocked him or me. Afterwards he spent a good 15 mins watching me from a distance.

leon-1

JFW said:
Was he getting his own back??

Cheers

JFW

Well if he was it didn't work, he was probably one of the cutest tree rats that I have seen in a long time, later on he was quite happy to be running around near me (about 30 feet away), but it took some time and you always got the impression he was keeping an eye on you :)

jakunen

Native
One of my favourite spots for watching wildlife is actaully quite close to a major road. There are a number of muntjac deer that graze clsoe to the river, an otter or two, kingfishers, etc. I just sit on the ground leaning against a large oak and try to blend in to the environment.

It's a truly magical experience when a deer gets close enough to almost reach out nad touch, or an owl tries to work out if he could perch on you...

Or if the otter can nick your bag...

And all just 50yds from a busy, noisy road with screaming police cars, motorbikes...

Rod

On a new journey
I try to find something with some cover from the elements and is just 'off the track', so to speak. Ideally, it will have several escape for you and the wildlife. So if they get spooked they are not going to trample you on the way out. I have had muntjac, roe & fallow deer within 10 ft with this and squirrels within 6ft with this method. It also allows me to back out, if necessary.

Hope this helps

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
My favorite spot to sit and reflect on things going on in the Universe is on a hill, next to a small pond. I don't have to worry about all the hunting things like sun as a backdrop, wind in my face, scent control and so on. I can just sit, watch critters come in to drink and take it all in.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
jakunen said:
You know what, this thread is making me wish I wasn't at work, but out there, even in this wet and windy weather, sitting in the elements and just being a part of nature.:-(

I MUST win the lottery tonight...
Yep,
Cold is a phyical condition as is wet and cold and wet but cold and/or wet and miserable is a state of mind. Strangley few of my family and friends agree with me on this one (but see the 'and it rained' or somthing like thread in the blogs for the story of me and a friend who does!)
Cheers
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE