Sit Awhile...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I don't know about you, but I always find that about this time of year when out and about, it becomes difficult to find somewhere dry and comfy to sit. I always have an old bit of kip mat inside my pack to sit on, but they're not really that good because wet leaves and mud always get onto it since it's directly on the ground.
I did look at those fisherman's combined packs/seat. But they are generally accepted to be not that good. And carrying a separate fold seat is too heavy and bulky.
However.
I had a lucid moment.
I know these are hardly new, but it only just occured to me - tripod folding stools! Yes, yes, yes, they've been around for donkey's years. But I must have had a blind spot on them because they just never occured to me. But looking through the new Argos catalogue yesterday I saw one and thought, 'blimey! That's just about right - small and light enough to carry and it gets you off the cold, damp ground.'
So I bought one today and I'm really chuffed with it. It's small and light, ties on to the outside of the pack neatly and is much more comfortable than I thought it would be.
I dare say many of you already use one. It just never occured to me.
So, if anyone is looking for a camping seat that is small, light, easy to carry and cheap then Argos are doing them for a fiver!
It's always those small things that make a difference and you wonder how you made do without.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had one...
the legs just dug into the ground and I ended up rolling in the mud and leaves anyway - unless the feet have HUGE spreaders (think shooting stick) tripod stools are worse that useless on even moderately soft ground...at least, with my weight they are!

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I tend to use my orange "survival" bag, although the colour hurts my eyes it has it's purpose I guess and being plastic it keeps me try.

I will either throw it over a log or straight on the damp ground. - I look a bit like an *** but it keeps mine dry!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They are small enough that they can be stowed away without a lot of fuss. They need patience to use properly though, and John's right, they coggle alarmingly if one is on the heavy side. Just sit down with a bit of care and they're fine.
That said, I think we've got four of them. I take them along as seats when we run out, or quick stands to hold dinner when sitting round the firebowl.
I've been eyeing up shooting sticks meself :D

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Nope It was a TKMaxx one.
essentially the pivot/hinge bit in the middle is plastic, screws are then put through this into the supports. this is where it cracked and me being on a hardwood floor... well it hurt lets say that.
if i got another i'd look for titanium with a good metal collar/hinge bit so it wouldn't give way.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
i have one too and its alright but i think that the best approach to plonk your erse down for a wee while is a hammock - weighs about the same, off the claggy ground completely, gives a backrest, goes up in seconds and is a lovely excuse for a wee kip too :). Off course it depends on having trees........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought you'd just fallen off :( I didn't realise the stool failed :eek: Never had that before. Almost couped a few times not taking care, but that's it thankfully.

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
For ages I was wearing a pair of German-army-style moleskins, which I'd armoured on the lower legs and seat with heavy-duty goretex... Unfortunately they didn't stand up well to repeated washings (the membrane stopped working) and they soaked through a fair bit if you were sitting or kneeling for any length of time. They finally died when I ripped the left leg wide open on a raggedy fence, so I decided to invest some serious dosh in a pair of Filson Double Hunting Pants just before Christmas. I was able to sit in the snow for quite some time in those without getting damp at all. Although they're not the warmest...

I've got a couple of "tripod" stools which, for some stupid reason, have four legs. Three would be much more comfortable.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
As people have said the stools with straight legs just dig in my experience
Maybe take an old saucepan lid with you and put the stool on that?
An ally one wont weigh much and the lip will help stop the legs sliding off

Just a thought

Mark

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
hey there

i am a bit on the side of minimalistic gear - i just dont like to carry stuff on myself. So what I use is just a plastic trash or shopping bag (the ones that are more sturdy). Just sit on them and when you pack them turn them inside out and they are clean. and you can use them for other things as well.

The only problem is that they dont insulate from cold. But then you can stuff some spruce broughs, leaves or stuff like that inside. But then you will need another bag where to store the old one ;) still lighter and less bulky then a folding chair with aluminium saucepan lids :p

I am looking for a more permanent solution though also one that is more permanent. Been thinking of waterproofing the canvas shopping bags (haha use one already as a pillow - just stuff it before sleeping with things i find handy like pine or spruce broughs, or fresh green leaves). Maybe cut out a piece of sleeping mat and sew it inside? anyway...still looking for the best solution and sit on plastic bags till then ;)

cheers

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have one of the small pound shop tripod stools, after I sit on it for more than 5 mins bits of my body go numb. I will leave it at that on a family forum.

Mark

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have one of these http://www.walkstool.com/

Not exactly cheap, but very good.

Its the 55 or 65 I have, can't remember which it is. I've had it 6 or 7 years now and think it will last for ever.

Just had a look at the Argos catalogue and my wife has had exactly the same stool, for about 10 years and its going strong as well.

I had a sit on one of these last year and it seemed pretty good and in a much lighter and more compact package than either my Walkstool or the Argos one. I was very tempted as it would be a lot easier to carry.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=10010&product_id=2125-720

Graham

Last edited:

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
A hunting buddy brought one of the tripods out one year, and I ended up using it. He forgot to take it back, and I used it all the time. I had it so long that when I gave it back, he had forgotten it was his! I have since found out what they cost, I'll have to let the moths out of the wallet....
It does sink in a bit, but that tends to make it more stable.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
im ok for something to park my backside on ... braught a new rucksack for work and there a 10mm thick square peice of support foam inside for back support. easily removed and put back and waterproof tuboot works a treat
lee

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
For a really good, adjustable stool which is built to last, look at the Swedish designed and manufactured Walkstool series, here.

The seat material is vented and waterproof, and the range of seat heights and widths will suit specific activities such as photography, bird/nature watching/hunting, or (like me) just having a sit down and a brew up. These stools have wide 'feet' which prevent sinking in soft ground.

I opted for the 55/22, which is 55cm/22ins high at its maximum position and love it, its secure and comfortable, yet light enough to pack and with a maximum load rating of 225kg/495lbs. Due to injury, support, comfort and seat height were important, as were light weight.

Three long term owners reviews on BackpackGearTest.com, here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsaZYl4Hqno

tele.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE