Sir Ranulph Fiennes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Hi i don't know if this is of interest to anyone else on here , but i'm off to Sir Ranulph ,on Friday 13th July at Llandudno ,venue Cymru , i think there's still tickets available if anyone is interested , i just thought someone might be cheers

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Id love to go but cannot make it! Hes a real explorer of the real kind if you know what I mean. Ive read his bio and hes a really interesting guy with lots of tails to tell. Im sure youll have a great time!

John.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Love to go but can't make that venue on that date so I'll look into alternative venues being nearer hopefully. Sir Ranulph's character and adventures has fascinated me for a long time so thanks for heads up.

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Cheers for putting other dates up ,ReamviThantos , i wouldn't have a clue how to do it , i am really looking forward to hearing the great man speak about his life and adventures , i hope everyone who makes one of his talks enjoy's it cheers

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Well i went to see Sir Ranulph on Friday night , and really enjoyed talk and the fantastic photos .A very inspiring man , if you get a chance to see this talk try and catch it, you won't be disappointed

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I loved his expedition to the arctic, doctors tale about when Sir R pulled out his pistol on him and threatened to shoot him when he was considering calling the trip off following a catalogue of exceedingly concerning issues. The doctor said on looking into his eyes and seeing that he would have carried out the threat it was on reflection better to proceed with the venture lol.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
I was just about to post a new thread about Sir Ran, but then saw that this thread has recently been created so will post in here:

He's always been a hero of mine, and since I can remember knowing of notorious people, Ranulph Fiennes' name has been synonymous. He was in the SAS the same time as my Father, and although they didn't know eachother it's an interesting connection, and helps me to see him as a very inspiring figure, in a similar way to how I see my Dad. I've read his book, Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know. I think it is a fantastic book, and I particularly like the way that Ranulph refers to his fear of heights, and self doubt as weaknesses. He doesn't sugar-coat, or beat around the bush. He's matter of fact about stuff, dissolved from emotion, and yet seems to have a very sentimental, soft side. He's an explorer, a pioneer, and is an icon of all the things I am interested in; Climbing, Mountaineering, Farming, and Exploring. I think he's an ideal role model, and a true Brit.
Anyway, I was very surprised to watch this video online this evening, and see that he's wearing a wig! Somebody who is famous and presumably, fairly often in the public eye, trying to hide the fact they are bold (when they have been so for a good number of years), seems bizarre, and a little eccentric. Not what I would have expected from somebody as hard nosed, and in-touch with reality, as Ranulph Fiennes. The only reason I can put to it, is that he did it for the lady he re-married a few years back, who is younger than him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K_9SrHIcQ0

I would be interested to know if he was wearing a wig, at his talk on the 13th. Great guy anyway, and seems very modest.

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have met him a couple of times,(not that he would know who I was), a really nice guy ! Posh but down to earth if that makes sense. Has anyone read his fiction books ? The Feather Men & The Sett ? If you like Chris Ryan & Andy McNab books, then you will love these.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Never read the feather men, but know the story. Very intriguing, and apparently, surprisingly persuasive. The theory of how Maj Mike Kealy really died is interesting. He was an experienced climber, who had done selection before, and was a spoken highly of for his actions in the battle of mirbat in 1972, but in 1979, he chose to join in with a selection course, just for practise or for fun, and it is always said, that instead of taking proper supplies like food, water, extra clothing etc. he just weighed his bergen down with rocks. When he became lost he went down very quickly. I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories or anything like that, but whatever the true circumstances, it serves as a good reminder to us all, to make sure we are prepared with both knowledge, and kit, when out and exposed.

Never read the feather men, but know the story. Very intriguing, and apparently, surprisingly persuasive. The theory of how Maj Mike Kealy really died is interesting. He was an experienced climber, who had done selection before, and was a spoken highly of for his actions in the battle of mirbat in 1972, but in 1979, he chose to join in with a selection course, just for practise or for fun, and it is always said, that instead of taking proper supplies like food, water, extra clothing etc. he just weighed his bergen down with rocks. When he became lost he went down very quickly. I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories or anything like that, but whatever the true circumstances, it serves as a good reminder to us all, to make sure we are prepared with both knowledge, and kit, when out and exposed.

The rules of the Forum do NOT allow me to 'knock' the professionals however, suffice it to say, that Major Mike decided to take a training hike with one of his trusted SAS soldiers (rank omitted deliberately,) they ran into extreme weather (horizontal rain the norm with howling wind) and the SAS soldier saw the signs of exposure in Major Mike and decided to make a leeway to protect them from the worst of the weather. SAS soldier unpacked Major Mike's Bergen to find nothing of use in Major's pack except rocks to make up weight for a decent weather training run. SAS soldier stripped Major of his wet clothing and placed him in his own sleeping bag and got in with him to provide body warmth. There were no radios, no mobiles and nobody to signal to up there that night.

In the morning, SAS soldier found Major cold and dead and nothing more could be done except recover his body. Should said author believe that this is/was some Arabic plan then, so be it - we made up our minds years ago and it has nothing at all to do with Yasser Arafat or any of his companions - just simple hypothermia that happened to a trained man that should have known better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE