Sir Dave Budd Green Man....my 11th knife hilted....

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...just this morning finished this and oiled it...my 11th effort...(if anyones wondering what happened to the 10th its my competition entry so secret for now lol). The blade is a Sir Dave Budd Green Man which i got from him at the wilderness gathering...so anyone who's read my write-up knows how personal this is to me...staying with the green man theme i decided on oak burr thats been stabilised and impregnated with green resin, dark green and also brass liners with brass corby bolts and finished off with danish oil. i also decided to leave the handle fairly unshaped...daves knives are slim and neat and hence the handle feels lovely pretty much straight with little need for added shaping for the fingers. hope you like and most important to dave, i hope i did it justice. regards

a

11GREENMAN3LOW.jpg

11GREENMAN2LOW.jpg

11GREENMAN4LOW.jpg

11GREENMAN1LOW.jpg

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
A real thing of beauty my friend, the Green Man is by far my favorite of all my knives and you have made a great job of this one
I wonder if the handle may be a bit too slim for my little stuby paws!? Would love to have a fondle when we next meet up ( the knife man, the knife!! )
Is it going to be a keeper or are you moving it on. ( I think I can guess the answer to that one! )
Look forward to the sheath, are you going to play it straight or do you have more elaborate thoughts?
My best to you and your family.
Chris.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yo dude!!!!!!!!!! you know me well enough to know the answer to that one...its not for sale for any amount. 100 percent a keeper though i dunno about a user....if i damaged it i'd be heartbroken....will buy another off dave asap to become a user.

i like chunky handles too but this is all good with me....the slim look is sort of deceiving and due to daves nice blade shape...it does have a bit of meat on it still but i've rounded it off a lot which makes it look the way it does....and i've tapered it so theres room for the thumb on the top but also plenty at the back too. i was tempted to try hilting it the way dave does but wasnt sure how and thought about it long and hard. wanted to keep its slender looks in line with the blade but as you say, not make it too skinny...i'm happy. dunno about your monster hands though lololol!

as for sheath....just gonna do a nice straight brown one i think...no messing.

a

A real thing of beauty my friend, the Green Man is by far my favorite of all my knives and you have made a great job of this one
I wonder if the handle may be a bit too slim for my little stuby paws!? Would love to have a fondle when we next meet up ( the knife man, the knife!! )
Is it going to be a keeper or are you moving it on. ( I think I can guess the answer to that one! )
Look forward to the sheath, are you going to play it straight or do you have more elaborate thoughts?
My best to you and your family.
Chris.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
yo dude!!!!!!!!!! you know me well enough to know the answer to that one...its not for sale for any amount. 100 percent a keeper though i dunno about a user....if i damaged it i'd be heartbroken....will buy another off dave asap to become a user.

i like chunky handles too but this is all good with me....the slim look is sort of deceiving and due to daves nice blade shape...it does have a bit of meat on it still but i've rounded it off a lot which makes it look the way it does....and i've tapered it so theres room for the thumb on the top but also plenty at the back too. i was tempted to try hilting it the way dave does but wasnt sure how and thought about it long and hard. wanted to keep its slender looks in line with the blade but as you say, not make it too skinny...i'm happy. dunno about your monster hands though lololol!

as for sheath....just gonna do a nice straight brown one i think...no messing.

a

I hear ya fella!
Top bananna.
Cat out.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
very nice :cool: I knew it would come together well :) The green resin looks good too (I must fish out the gnarly oak i was given a few years back and do something with it) works well with the oak and the brass. It will be interesting to see how it all matures and darkens (unless it stabilised wood, rather than just filled?)

looking forward to seeing it all done with a sheath too. I'm glad you are happy with it so far and i hope it will see plenty of use! :)

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
That's very nice, i love the way the green resin works in the voids, at first glance i almost thought Desert Iron wood it's so lush, be nice to see the sheath when it's done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE