Singer sewing machine (advice needed)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Hi all, I picked up an old singer from the the car boot sale today for £15, it seems to be in working order, can anyone help me with info on it, ita a hand crank machine, what I want to know is do you thing it will be good for leather and cavas?

Thanx in advance here a pic
ce1778640328f4b9ddefb05317690a81.jpg

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
my hand crank, i think its an early 20th C singer 66k ,will laugh at thin leather and canvas as long as you use the right needles. there is something hypnotic about the tika tika tika sound of a well oiled hand crank.

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
my hand crank, i think its an early 20th C singer 66k ,will laugh at thin leather and canvas as long as you use the right needles. there is something hypnotic about the tika tika tika sound of a well oiled hand crank.
Awsome thank for the info, im gonna play with it and see if I can put leather together :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Great buy, it looks like a 185 but the stitch selector isn't the same.

Having said that though it should be fine on thin leather and canvas so long as you have the right weight needles

What's the serial number?

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Great buy, it looks like a 185 but the stitch selector isn't the same.

Having said that though it should be fine on thin leather and canvas so long as you have the right weight needles

What's the serial number?
The model is 285k that seems to be the only no: I can find

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thank you for this, it seems like the chap on the video wasn't a fan of it, just been playing around with it and it seems to sew pretty well :)

It probably a lot better because it's a hand crank so you won't get the same sort vibrations that the electric ones suffered from.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I've not sewn leather but My Singer is ancient, and I've recently used it to Modify my PLCE Bergen, so as mentioned if you use the right needles it will go through really thick 1000 gauge Cordura and the army spec tough webbing straps, it will easily go through several layers of Canvas.
I nearly always use Denim or leather needles, a good tip is not to rush a thick bit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE