Simple shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
This sis an easy way to set up a simpleand cheap shelter (£3-4) and are perfect for people that are new to bushcraft or for those who just wnat to keep things simple. A picture says more then a 1000 words so here is 2000 :)

DSC00120_resize.jpg

DSC00121_resize.jpg

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
That looks really great to do some sleeping in Johan ;) :D
If I see it correctly, you've pitched down all 4 corners of the rectangular tarp and lifted a long side of the tarp - very easy peasy :p - thanks for sharing!

Only thing I must ask you :rolleyes: : what are the dimensions of the tarp, what it is made of and where can you get it? ;)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Ahjno said:
That looks really great to do some sleeping in Johan ;) :D
If I see it correctly, you've pitched down all 4 corners of the rectangular tarp and lifted a long side of the tarp - very easy peasy :p - thanks for sharing!

Only thing I must ask you :rolleyes: : what are the dimensions of the tarp, what it is made of and where can you get it? ;)

I think it is 3,5*5 m but are not sure they come in many diffrent sizes. They are made of some plastic. You get them almost anywhere here, even find them on gas stations sometimes. They are really good and since they don´t weigh much thay are easy to bring, I have a smaller one that I can fit in my hand but it can still be made into a one man shelter. The one in the picture could 2-4 people including gear sleep in.

Here are some more ideas what you can do with a simple tarp http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Very nice. i plan to get me some of that tarp myself. It's really dirt cheap and very strong + waterproof. Cost about 100 SEK or roughly £7.5 and as Viking said, can be found pretty much everywhere and can get up to 10x6 meters if you want to.

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
Ah the good old K.I.S.S. philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid) nice one!! ;)

I had a tarp similar to that (1.99 @ hypervalue)before I bought my basha :D
Did you find it noisy when it flaps in the wind? The reason I ask is that mine drove me crazy at night and kept distracting me from other sounds around me :(

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
With something simple like that there is less to go wrong or forget. and it looks like there is just one line holding it up which means there is less risk of getting lines tangled as you're putting it up in a bit of a breeze, another useful feature for either beginners or more experiences bushcraftes. Weighting down the edges with logs, rocks or soil will help stop it flapping around in the wind if that bothers anyone.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's a great shelter! I think that's what we call a poly tarp over here. I'm a great believer in them! 8 ft x 10 ft makes a great solo tarp. Much more resistant to sparks than a nylon tarp and if you do burn a few holes in it, they are cheaply replaced. Tough tarps.

tak_4.jpg

For unplanned overnighters though, I rely on an All Weather Space blanket which I stash in my day pack.

ritterleanto1.jpg

My favorite tarp though for a planned overnighter, is a ventile tarp.

leanto1b.jpg

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
odin13 said:
thats a really good simple shelter, does anyone know anywhere where i can buy cheap tarps or tarp material?
cheers

Thet sell cheap Tarps on Ebay, but they are noisy when the wind gets up, but if you are not bothered by that they will be fine.
I have several which are used to cover various things and they seem to do the job well with no problems.

Moine

Forager
That is great. Nice and simple...

The greatest part is that with only one open side, you stay clear from wind and rain being pushed in... Great shelter.

Three thoughts, though...

1) the fire place is a bit close to the tarp, no ? :) --

2) With such setups, you better sleep out of any hole in the ground. Find higher ground, otherwise you soon end up swimming around...

3) On very windy/stormy nights, you better put a few large rocks or logs on the grounded ends of your tarp. When the wind comes from the back it's usually not a problem, but when it comes the other way (wind sometimes turns around and changes direction, especially during heavy storms), the tarp entrance offers a huge surface to catch wind... The best thing still is to loosely tie at least 3-4 grommets to surrounding vegetation (using cord or whatever). I say loosely, because it allows the air to escape if it lifts the tarp, thus diminishing the traction force... The tarp will move around a bit, but it will stay there and you won't need to run around in pitch dark, high winds and rain to put it back into place... Just my two pennies ;)

4) (I know I said 3, but nevermind :)) -- For true storms, a good system is to simply wrap a round rock in the middle of the tarp, and tie it from the other side with cord. That creates a grommetless (and hole-free) anchor point that allows you to hang the whole thing with all sides closed. Then you crawl into your "pyramid" and you stay dry even in the worst of thunderstorms. Just make sure you don't hang your shelter from the highest tree in the sector... !

Cheers,

David

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
And for the "hootchie/basha" variant with tarp + hammock:

camp2.jpg

Yes, it's windy if you put it up where the wind blows without anything stopping it :) Was nice though during the day when it was 27C with a slight breeze.. was a different thing at 3 am when the temperature was 5C :p

/HuBBa

Ps. this was just after setting it all up. All the equipment that was on the floor on that pic was then clipped beneath the tarp so not to damage the undergrowth & keep it dry. Ds.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
steven andrews said:
Hoodoo,
Do I spy a 551 Griptilian, or is it a Ritter RSK MKI?

Good eyes Steven. That is the Ritter RSK. That camp was done for an article I wrote in Tactical Knives reviewing the RSK and the mini kit Doug created.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Very nice tip Johan :) and photos are always welcome.

Moine said:
4) For true storms, a good system is to simply wrap a round rock in the middle of the tarp, and tie it from the other side with cord. That creates a grommetless (and hole-free) anchor point that allows you to hang the whole thing with all sides closed. Then you crawl into your "pyramid" and you stay dry even in the worst of thunderstorms. Just make sure you don't hang your shelter from the highest tree in the sector...
David it sounds cool but I can't work it out in my small head how that works :) how does having a small rock in the centre hold the tarp up in a pyramid shape? Please help my feeble mind understand :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE