Simple shavehorse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, i thought you might like a bit of a look at this simple shavehorse i made.
It was getting a bit cramped in the shed using a workmate bench so i thought it was about time i made one so i could work in the fresh air.
It is also collapsible so it will store away without taking up much room in the shed. Anyway here we go.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers for that Stuart..........It is something I must make and I might do something like that just to get me going with one. I built myself a pole lathe using bits of 4x2 and other stuff that I had lying around and although it don't look too good, it works. Do you use it standing up ?................Jon
bushcraftersfire5dh.gif

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi guys,sorry about the delay,you can use it either way although i prefer standing up when working on a bow. Sorry i have'nt got any photos of me using it,but i will see what i can do when it stops tipping it down with rain.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stuart f said:
Hi guys,sorry about the delay,you can use it either way although i prefer standing up when working on a bow. Sorry i have'nt got any photos of me using it,but i will see what i can do when it stops tipping it down with rain.

Rain ? Whats that ?..................Jon

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Looks great well sone. I saw a lot of these horses in use on Saturday at the South of England show, along with lathes.

I thought I'd like to give it ago and came across this which I thought maybe of interest to you guys. Not necessarily suitable for all due to travel, but certainly in Jon's area and could be worth the travel.

Well done again.

http://www.greenwoodworker.co.uk/

Pib

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
pibbleb said:
Looks great well sone. I saw a lot of these horses in use on Saturday at the South of England show, along with lathes.

I thought I'd like to give it ago and came across this which I thought maybe of interest to you guys. Not necessarily suitable for all due to travel, but certainly in Jon's area and could be worth the travel.

Well done again.

http://www.greenwoodworker.co.uk/

Pib

Pibble............I have met some of the guys from there. If you want to give polelathing etc a go, I would recommend going to an open day at shelley woodlands, next to Christs hospital................Jon

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Jon thanks for that. I'm really keen to give it ago but had only managed to find this Amberley site. They are running a course via Arun House but I suspect it is their Amberley Museum introduction day as advertised on the site.

I'm also keen to give coppicing a try, but the only course I've found for that is at Chichester College rather than the Brinsbury site.

Do you have anymore details on Shelleywoods or is it just something that crops up now and again advertised in the trusty WSCT.

Cheers.

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE