Simple, home made, soap making tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've been dismayed at scenes of supermarkets stripped bare of soap recently. Cleanliness is so vital at all times and paramount now.

As a result we've switched around our filming order and this week recorded, edited & published a step by step guide to making your own soap at home. I know most people here "make" & I'm confident any & all of us can do this.

I cover this in the video but its worth saying that the US FDA (and many more) state that basic bar soap is every bit as effective as hand sanitiser or anti bacterial soap

I hope if anyone is struggling to get enough soap for themselves, friends & family that this may relieve a little stress. Do please feel free to share it with anyone you feel may benefit

Any questions, do please ask

Hugh

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That was grand.

You make these vids very professionally

and demystify what to many is a baffling process.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Tony ;)

Fiona & I are extremely conscious that many people are really struggling with isolation & shortages right now. I wish we could send everyone a care package! Since that's not possible we are trying to focus our channel onto some practical things that can help a bit with self reliance. If there are things anyone would like to see or talk about, we are happy to try to offer any insights or skills that we have.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I suspect what most folk are suffering from is disruptive routines and boredom.

Maybe some simple traditional games to make and play?

Add a bit of history for interest? Some of the things still popular today were enjoyed by the Egyptians.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Games aren't really something I know much about, but, apparently, making home made dried powdered egg is something people want to see....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Now that is worthwhile.

My Dad has been fussing at egg shortages in the supermarket.

(I pointed out the butchers up the road will have them, and the farm shop down the road manufacture eggs...This is too subtle thinking for him)

But aside from pickling, i have no way of curating eggs.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Great channel Red !! and for a person that had previously self labelled themselves as a 'grumpy' person you've a very natural positive camera charisma to you.

Working my way through your channels back catalogue. And equally looking forward to newer stuff when time allows.

Reactions: British Red

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
We live between four farmhouses who sell eggs, from those with honesty boxes through to one place with a chilled automatic vending machine. They are always restocked daily throughout the year, so there’s no shortage around here. We have found that if you get known fresh eggs, from a local farm or butcher for example rather than a supermarket, they seem to keep for weeks in a cool cupboard without issues. If we find that we have older ones, we just break them into a glass and check them out for looks and smell before using them. We write the date of purchase on the box when we get some. Generally we waste very little food at all, and always buy from our neighbours, or at least from local shops, whenever we can.

Cheers, Bob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now that is worthwhile.

My Dad has been fussing at egg shortages in the supermarket.

(I pointed out the butchers up the road will have them, and the farm shop down the road manufacture eggs...This is too subtle thinking for him)

But aside from pickling, i have no way of curating eggs.

They can be dried, preserved in Waterglass or frozen. I'm filming the process at the moment. If you have questions, please ask.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great channel Red !! and for a person that had previously self labelled themselves as a 'grumpy' person you've a very natural positive camera charisma to you.

Working my way through your channels back catalogue. And equally looking forward to newer stuff when time allows.

Thanks, I'm still very self conscious on camera but understand that people like to see who's talking so I have to "suck it up". I'm still grumpy really:)

Reactions: TeeDee

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I tried freezing them some years ago. It was not a sucess, even with the eggs separated as was advised.

Maybe I was doing it wrong

(Not that I have freezer space for eggs)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We live between four farmhouses who sell eggs, from those with honesty boxes through to one place with a chilled automatic vending machine. They are always restocked daily throughout the year, so there’s no shortage around here. We have found that if you get known fresh eggs, from a local farm or butcher for example rather than a supermarket, they seem to keep for weeks in a cool cupboard without issues. If we find that we have older ones, we just break them into a glass and check them out for looks and smell before using them. We write the date of purchase on the box when we get some. Generally we waste very little food at all, and always buy from our neighbours, or at least from local shops, whenever we can.

Cheers, Bob

Its sensible to buy local if you can, they are far fresher. That said, utility flocks will have periods when the hens are moulting or sat on eggs when few eggs are laid (this is less true of more intensive flocks of hybrid hens). We preserve eggs to smooth out these troughs and also for when we need 6 dozen for Yule cake ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE