simple grill to balance on rocks/logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Hi All,

I hope this is the right part of the forum to put this in.

I'm off comfort camping this weekend with the missus and food is always a big deal.

I've made pot hangers etc in the past but a simple grill would be great for roasting veggies/fish or using as a pot stand.

any ideas where I can get a simple, cheap and sturdy grill (I guess like an oven shelf) that I can balance between rocks/green logs over the fire?

as ever - time is factor so ideally a shop i can walk into and buy one!

thanks in advance ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Take one of your oven shelves, burn it clean when you've finished cooking, bring it home and clean it again if you feel the need then put it back in the oven. I've done this regularly for many years without mishap :)

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Cooling rack for cakes etc, you can grill on it, balance pots etc.
cheap and effective.

Yeh the grill is closer together than an oven shelf too.

I'm not sure how sturdy they are but I have a couple so ill have a look/play when I get in!

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Yeh the grill is closer together than an oven shelf too.

I'm not sure how sturdy they are but I have a couple so ill have a look/play when I get in!

I use something like that on my Yukon fire box

100_0207.JPG

Suzy found it at a local cheapy store, works very well.

Rob.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I knew a guy who fished a supermarket trolley out of a canal, then cut it up to make grills, they are made from good stainless steel, not saying you should do it of course.

Rob

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Rolls Royce of camping grills is a titanium Purcell Trench grill, spendy though and that's without shipping from the US plus tax etc.

I've always fancied one but couldn't justify the spend, I ended up getting one of these from Bob at BPL a couple of years ago, I think mine was a second in the B-stock section but I've never found the fault .. http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/QE113-5.html

Great for cooking over a fire with a couple of pots, it gets a bit sooty but it goes into a carrier bag so my kit stays clean, it then slips down the back of my pack taking up no room, very useful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE