Silvermans repro SAS smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I am looking for a cotton smock for bimbling about in this winter and found the above mentioned one as well as the Swedish one. I know that the Swedish is a firm favourite around these parts but the repro SAS one looks pretty good too, main points being that the pocket layout looks better (to my eyes from the one picture) and that I wont need to dye it. Regarding the Swedish one, am I right in thinking that the armpit area can be quite tight on these? I am fairly big (6' and 215 lbs, quite broad shoulders) and want to wear a decent jumper underneath for the cold weather and am concerned about it being restrictive across the back. I cant find anywhere near to me (East Kent) to try one on before buying it but I work in East London so I can get to Silvermans to try on the SAS one. Does anybody know of anywhere in North/East Kent or East London/South Essex that stocks the over-the-head style Swedish smocks?On to the SAS one. It looks fairly decent, not sure what material it is so that could be a concern as I am after 100% cotton. It is £49.99 which is a bit more than the Swede but I wont have to dye it or alter pockets so it sould be worth it. Have any of you tried it out? It is a repro of the one in the link below:http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Product...K/ItemId/6473/CurrentPage/0/Default.aspx[URL]

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sounds like were the same build. Just put my new swedish smock on over a t shirt and swanndri jacket. Not restrictive around armpits, back or shoulders. Mine just has a number 2 sewn in for size referel and a number 2 stamped next to the crowns.

I got mine from patrol base in huddersfield. £15 quid and un-issued condition.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sorry, i called in person and i'm using a tiny nokia phone wi limited browsing technology at moment :(
The website should have the telenumber though. They are very helpful. They had 3 left on the rail and probably more in the back? I picked mine after trying on one smaller before.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I brought a repro SAS smock from SOF for £29 in a lagre . It was big for a large and not windproof so it went back.

Topknot

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I have seen those copies of the modern one, they arent all that at all. The one I was talking about is a copy of the WW2 version, an over-the-head design which is what I was after.Bardster - Thanks for the offer but I have had one put aside for me to buy today already, I want to mess about dying it etc so I think a "stock" one would suit me best.When I eventually get around to doing my work to it I will start another thread. Thanks everyone!

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Thanks for your help mate, and you were right about them being helpful! Only one size 2 left but they put it by for me till today. Now to find some fur, rabbit maybe!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Glad to be of assistance squire . Ive a contact in the rag trade keepin an eye aht for a fur coyt. If i get one before you get sorted, ill post you a length ;)

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Very kind of you sir. I am a bit stuck so far, only found rabbit hides and I am not sure if they are "furry" enough, if you get what I mean.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I seem to remember Military Mart doing a canvas/heavy cotton smock for peanuts that has lots of pockets - I'll see if I can find it - here you go.. http://www.militarymart.co.uk//Belgian-M88-Parka-T64/prod_1618.html

I cannot tell a lie - that Belgian jacket/smock/parka looked such good value for money (£7.95) that I went and got one! (Along with the Polish sleeping mat, which is huge and thick, but more of that elsewhere)

The parka is actually olive green, not brown as in the advert, but otherwise looks just like it.. It is very heavy material, which is double-layered over the shoulders. Other than smelling a bit musty, and having a really naff piece of drawstring around the bottom of the jacket (the waist drawstring looks like proper paracord), it appears bullet-proof (metaphorically speaking of course!). Buttons and zips all work fine, no marks or tears, and it is dated 1989, along with "Syntex" - whatever that is. And all for the price of a packet of cigarettes...............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE