Silver Ghillie kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
The guys from Ghillie kettle have sent me this new Silver anodized kettle to show on this forum it is the latest one from the ghillie kettle range of kettles. And yes it is yet another different type of kettle following in the line from the original tin kettles that were used in western Ireland in the late 1800's that were taken and refined by a New Zealander called John Ashley Hart, Who added the chimney to the centre of kettle giving it the look that we see on all the types of different kettles today. And this kettle was manufactured in 1929 by an agreement between John and George Marries & co of Birmingham. And kettle was called the ''sirram Volcano Kettle'' (which is Marries spelt backwards). This type of kettle was in manufacturer till 1970 when the company was sold.

20130303_120201_1.jpg
20130303_120130_4.jpg

As for this silver anodized kettle from Ghillie Kettle it is made by taking a ordinary aluminium kettle and breathily placing it into acid giving it a 5 micron coating but unlike the hard anodized kettle which is left in the acid for a long period of time giving it between 30 and 40 microns of coating. So the silver anodized is harder and more scratch resistant than an ordinary kettle and will have a longer-term life as well as easier to clean the plain old aluminium kettle.

So why anodize these kettles, well I can only think of two reasons one is as said before on other threads our cousins on the other side of the pond had a bit of a panic about aluminium giving people Alzheimer's something which has since been disapproved. But this has left a stain on plain aluminium kettles. And the other is people were asking for a stronger kettle which they got with the Hard anodized kettle. But that adds an extra £10 to the cost of a normal kettle. So the silver kettle was made to save a few extra pounds in your pocket.

20130303_131453.jpg
?
20130303_174936_2.jpg

OK so if I going to show this kettle I need to show it in use. Well I've done fried eggs and curry flavored noodles in previous reviews. So this time I am crooking bratwursts and frikadelleas (well small frikadelleas as Aldi didn't have any large ones). I used to eat these when I was a squaddie in Germany and I must admit I love them and will not apologise for that.

2c1e6086-4ecc-48af-bed3-3b376c84c588.jpg
39afc1db-0411-4661-9f92-4dcd81a69b81.jpg

I was going to try and use the Silver anodized kettle as an oven being heated via charcoal in the base but found out the kettle not wide enough as the bratwursts (brattys) are about six inches long so I had to cut them in half to but with the frikadelleas cooking as well the base had to be turned into a barbecue and I no space to heat kettle which had to be heated after (review not going to plan so far). Normally I would heat the water first so I could have a cuppa while waiting for the food to cook.

It was about this time that the wife decide to feed the kids and told me as I was messing around outside I could cook some grub for them as well. (I tried to tell her this was important review but she won't believe me). But my monsters refused my kind offers of brattys and frikadelleas. So they had some bacon grill instead but this meant breaking out the hard anodized kettle and yet more charcoal.

This causes more issues for me as I only have one set of grills for my kettle, so I had to break out my grill that I got from backpacking light to cook the bacon grill on. If I had thought about it more I could have set up the grill so that I could have put both bases underneath the grill. But at the time I was trying to show the silver kettle in action not the grill (review totally gone to pot).

20130303_133110_1.jpg
20130303_134521_4.jpg

The hurriedly used layout and the one would have if I'd know the wife was adding more food I would have used this second layout :)

Anyway all food was cooked but some of the brattys were slightly over done and I put some wood in the base to get round to boiling the kettle and having a nice cuppa.
I'm going to have to try something else soon to put in the kettle to see if I can get an oven effect. Hopefully it should be fun trying (Well till the wife gets herself involved).

At this point I would normally go on about cleaning the kettle but the wife has chucked away the brush that I use to clean the kettle with because it looked dirty. So that will have to wait till I get to a shop to get another one. (Note to self never let wife near my camping gear).

f9f977d8-213c-4c74-b888-ae93509616e4.jpg
6207f077-dff3-4e5b-a8a3-811e46128a49.jpg
?
d6019e32-e9ba-4ef8-80fc-72a228403e6c.jpg

This kettle is definitely shiny or it was till I used it but I'm sure with a bit of a scrub it will be shiny again. I like it but then I would as I use these types of kettles for all sorts of events bushcrafting, camping, holidays, in the garden and even when on a TA camp. And I have yet to meet anyone who owns a kettle (whichever make) who doesn't. So this silver kettle should do well for itself, unlike my cooking.

If anyone is interested in one of these kettles look at this web site
http://www.ghillie-kettle.co.uk

But Ghillie kettles has said they will give a15% discount to anyone buying one of the silver anodized kettles from this Forum. Just get in touch via their website or by phoning them on 0152766217

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Very generous of them to send you a stove to try out. Just like its generous of you to place this exact , word for word review and offer on this forum and at least one other bushcraft forum . Thankyou :thumbdown:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE