Silva Type 54 Sighting Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The Type 54 is an excellent compass - same size and weight as an ordinary baseplate compass (and can be used as such) but can give you bearings accurate to half a degree. Really terrific kit. Perhaps more compass than you really need, but if you like navigation, or you might use it for other things (like antenna work) it's well worth having. The downside is it costs £60 in the UK- three times the cost of the 'standard' Type 4.

I still rue the day I lost my Type 54 on Blencathra, but the price tag put me off replacing it....BUT....

Kooter's Geology Tools in the US sell them for 55 dollars! You also need to fork out 10 dollars for postage, £5.30 to the Taxman, and £4.00 handling fee to the postman (or you might even be lucky and not get charged tax), but you still get it for £44.25.

It is badged as a Brunton Nexus due to a bizarre trademark dispute, but it is made in Sweden by Silva. Correct magnetic zone, and has metric and 1:63360 roamers, not US ones.

Kooters and the US post office were great (left the US 24 hours after I ordered it!) but the Royal Mail and Customs then took a week to deliver...

Recommended.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I agree Doc, the Type 54 is an excellent expedition grade compass.

Good find!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE