Silva compasses made in China?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Sounds like you need to speak to them and advice what they should have done those years ago..
remember, the actual construction/design was done in the 1930's. No doubt they used the tech. design for many decades.
If it works why change it?

They worked at +30C. They worked at -50C. At overpressure ( diving) and underpressure ( mountaineering)
A little bubble, if not designed to be there, did not influence the efficiency and accurancy of the compass.

You must have a better class of bubble, mine knocks the accuracy off by several degrees.

If a random gonk who brays nails in for a living like myself can work out that a slightly flexible diaphragm can mitigate pressure differential of a liquid separated from an air environment, just imagine what a clever person could work out.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Your bubble must be huge!
Mine is about 2mm in diameter.

Silva was (is?) the supplier to several Armed Forces worldwide. Most compasses made were basically of the same construction. Built to a spec approved by those Forces. To change the specs and design was and is not easy.
It was not a huge company. To change the design means changing the tooling = very expensive.

But it is NOT acceptable that 'your' bubble creates a deviation of several degrees.
Dangerous in fact. A few degrees off in winter can mean risk for your life if you are in the Swedish mountains skiing and enjoying yourself.
I hope the new ones are better. My compass is one I 'liberated' upon quitting the Army in 1982. Made in Sweden.

You must have a better class of bubble, mine knocks the accuracy off by several degrees.

If a random gonk who brays nails in for a living like myself can work out that a slightly flexible diaphragm can mitigate pressure differential of a liquid separated from an air environment, just imagine what a clever person could work out.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE