silnylon - what's it like to sew?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As the title says really, i'm thinking of getting some in the group buy here but I can't be doing with something that's a nightmare to work with, anyone that's used it and has an opinion I'm interested in it :D

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Hi Tony

It's a bit tricky because it slides about under the machine foot. Tarps and things with straight line stitches are easiest. First off I would have a go at making a few stuff sacks to get the hang of it.

Nigel

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I've sewn with it a few times and it is indeed a bit slippy but it's not actually that bad to work with. In fact the low friction is actually quite helpful on larger items such as tarps. Just take it slow and steady and keep checking it hasn't shifted before you sew each section. Those little stationery clips (mini-bulldog clips) help immensely.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I find it difficult to handle but once on the machine it is easier to work with than i originally thought. The presser foot does all of the hard stuff. Rather than pinning the fabric when creating a hem I am using bulldog clips which do the job well.

I have started a MYOG forum on www.bikeandbivi.co.uk most of the fabrics being used are synthetic, pertex, silnylon, cordura etc...

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
A few different methods used so far. I think I prefer binding the hem. Much cleaner and easier as rolling is a pain. My thread injector does not have a rolled hem attachment which would have made life a lot easier.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
A few different methods used so far. I think I prefer binding the hem. Much cleaner and easier as rolling is a pain. My thread injector does not have a rolled hem attachment which would have made life a lot easier.

do you mean binding the hem by using the 16mm grosgrain?

I'm thinking of making something quite big and using that on the edging as you have and the loops and using the 40mm to create a diagonal and a cross on the top side for strength when I'm pitching it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've done loads of stuffs sacks and bags for various kit and can't say it really bothers me to stitch it, I tend to give myself plenty of surplus to work with and pin out any long seams.

Last edited:

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
do you mean binding the hem by using the 16mm grosgrain?

I'm thinking of making something quite big and using that on the edging as you have and the loops and using the 40mm to create a diagonal and a cross on the top side for strength when I'm pitching it.

I've used 25mm and 16mm, it works well but I reckon you need a foot otherwise its going to be harder to get right than a rolled hem. Will you be taking the grosgrain right across the top from corner to corner? If so, if the material doesn't stretch as much or indeed more than the grosgrain you could get a bit of a sag going on.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
i've not either material before so i'd have to experiment, yes,, right accross the top of the tarp, sideto side and corner to corner. does the fabric or the grosgrain have give in it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE