Sigg oval canteen help

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi all.

I recently got hold of one of the Sigg oval bottles with the mug that it sits in. Been after one for an age and really love the thing.

But,

On receipt I gave it a good clean and all was well. Took it out on a walk today and the mug leaks. Its a seam welded base by the looks and one corner has a tiny little ding from some time in its life. My guess is my thorough cleaning has taken out whatever was plugging this tiny split and the seam now leaks. Its tiny, but not good for a cup.

Anyone have any bright ideas on the best way to seal this seam? I'd fancied using the mug for cold and hot drinks, so the seal needs to be suitable with hot liquid. In an ideal world I'd hoped to even heat it over a flame but the weld it not going to be ideal for this due to the expansion of the metal.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Jb weld? Can't remember what temp it is good to but should plug the hole.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Jb weld? Can't remember what temp it is good to but should plug the hole.

Funny you should say that. Did an Internet trawl, and stainless is a git to seal it would appear. JB Weld came up a few times as best option so just ordered a pack.

Only goes to a couple of hundred degrees so no good for heating but is non-toxic

Thanks tho :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
High temperature silicon seal would do it easily - you can seal up wood burning stoves with it!

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Take it to your local engineering works and get them to spot weld the seam where the leak is for you, most workshops would have one or even a tig welder already set up for stainless.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Take it to your local engineering works and get them to spot weld the seam where the leak is for you, most workshops would have one or even a tig welder already set up for stainless.

Being a mug its only thin walled and I'd worry about holeing it. Given the overlap on the joint it may be possible to get some flux in there and try silver soldering it. That would give a higher temp capacity. Not tried soldering for years, but may be worth a try. Just know how long it took to land this one so don't want to bugger it up.

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
It should be fine if spotwelded, it is after all how cars are held together and they're only thin gauge mild steel, I dare say if there's any doubt they would tell you. Its always worth asking and if they can it'll be just about an invisible fix.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Albus, if you struggle, the original Sigg oval flasks (the ones with a cork stopper) had a mug without seams. Its a tight fit (might scrape the paint) but compatible.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Albus, if you struggle, the original Sigg oval flasks (the ones with a cork stopper) had a mug without seams. Its a tight fit (might scrape the paint) but compatible.

Not sure I've seen them, but that would be well worth a look. Any idea who has them?

Will also try to fix this one as I'm not keen on ditching it, but a seamless alternative is well worth a find.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have to be a surplus shop - they have been made for years - mine was given by a kind member here

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I personally would just tin solder it. I heard someone mention a while ago not to think of them as potentially bushcrafty mugs as they could not stand the heat of a fire due how they are made. It kind of put me off using mine outdoors (ridiculous I know). They are lovely to look at though. I have one of each type but almost exclusively use the newer military one with the plastic bottle. It is just such an handy size.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...s/swiss-army-water-bottle-and-mug-472989.html

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Yeh, shame they chose to weld the base rather than form from one sheet. New one is Ali, is it not? Not as keen on Ali as the heat radiates to my lips :)
Had its first outing this weekend and its a great pack size bottle for a little walk. Slips in side mesh of rucksack so well. Tatonka is a far better mug and I could get a small Nalgene to fit this, but the round shape does not sit as well in the side pocket.

Am going to try the silver solder route first as I can have a crack at this fairly quickly. Worst I can do is make it worse :)

I personally would just tin solder it. I heard someone mention a while ago not to think of them as potentially bushcrafty mugs as they could not stand the heat of a fire due how they are made. It kind of put me off using mine outdoors (ridiculous I know). They are lovely to look at though. I have one of each type but almost exclusively use the newer military one with the plastic bottle. It is just such an handy size.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...s/swiss-army-water-bottle-and-mug-472989.html

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I had one of those, big mistake. It wasn't the mug, I have used that to boil water, it was the canteen itself, the neck eventually came away from the body. That should not happen, and as a result I shall never buy anything made by Sigg again. At the moment I have the Swiss Army Volcano Stove. The water bottle may seem primitive with a cork and no lining, but there isn't a lot that can go wrong with it.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thought you were talking nonsense until I looked at mine - had assumed it was a one piece cup. Not leaking, thankfully.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thought you were talking nonsense until I looked at mine - had assumed it was a one piece cup. Not leaking, thankfully.

My fault really. Its a tiny ding near the seam that's just split the seam. But my thorough cleaning has removed what're was plugging it when I got it. Thin smear of epoxy will seal it, but want to try and seal it better first. That's my fall back solution.

Still love the setup and the size and style. Just need to sort the mug :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I would definitely solder it, and I have a TIG setup for stainless that I could use if I wanted to. I would use a special flux that I have for stainless.

I wouldn't like to post the flux, it's nasty stuff (a liquid) but you're welcome to have a little bit of it if you can solder. If you're not in a great hurry we could do it at a meet, you're not a million miles away from here.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Cheers ged, very very kind.

I've got some high percentage silver solder on way and flux to suit, so my hope is this may do the trick. The seam should lend itself to soldering well if I can revive the skill and get the heat right. But if that fails will get back to you :)

I would definitely solder it, and I have a TIG setup for stainless that I could use if I wanted to. I would use a special flux that I have for stainless.

I wouldn't like to post the flux, it's nasty stuff (a liquid) but you're welcome to have a little bit of it if you can solder. If you're not in a great hurry we could do it at a meet, you're not a million miles away from here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE