Sierra Leone kitlist

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
If it all goes a bit Pete Tong and you and your co-workers have to go to ground in the bush, do you have either an individual or collective means of communicating with an extraction/evacuation team?

Also, have you considered including a deck of cards in your pack, or a book?
No practical survival benefits I can think of, other than they could help you pass the time and keep your mind from dwelling the general Pete Tongness of the situation, while you await rescue.

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
I have military spec medics kit with all usual gear a patrol medic has on hand. The general rule is to carry your passport at all times and only hand over the colour photocopies. Having scans on a USB is a very good idea ( Phil Campion promoted the UTag system) and I will look at doing that. I actually have a number of water filtration option; coffee filters for base detritus, nalgene filter lid, Steripen Classic and steritabs.

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
Our security company has identify a number of ERV's and the review of possible routes is onging and updated regularly. Boredom can be an issue:( but if it came down to it, I could take my kindle and recharge it with the Power Gorilla (I've over 800 books on it). Somehow though if it got bad enough that we had to gap it then entertainment will probably not be a priority issue :lmao:

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
Gloves don't last here. IMO the additional problems associated with having your hands in continously damp material would outweigh any benefits. Our labour here go through work gloves at a horrendously fast rate and if given the preference will always work barehanded. Also around here there are significant numbers of people collecting firewood and thatch within the main bush and they do not cover their hands with anything although most will put some kind of tape/cloth around the machete grip (more to stop it slipping and cutting them than anything else)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Gloves don't last here. IMO the additional problems associated with having your hands in continously damp material would outweigh any benefits. Our labour here go through work gloves at a horrendously fast rate and if given the preference will always work barehanded. Also around here there are significant numbers of people collecting firewood and thatch within the main bush and they do not cover their hands with anything although most will put some kind of tape/cloth around the machete grip (more to stop it slipping and cutting them than anything else)

That is interesting to know,

I was thinking more along the lines of in the pack if you needed.

But as you say if its out weighed by any benefits then is not good.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If it all goes a bit Pete Tong and you and your co-workers have to go to ground in the bush, do you have either an individual or collective means of communicating with an extraction/evacuation team?...

This came to my mind also. Especially if any of your mates are licensed ham operators (or in an emergency unlicensed)

Also you said firearms are banned; what about body armor?

c2518

Nov 1, 2004
Cumbria
We have licensed radio frequencies and radios here which are utilised onsite. Body armour is not really something worth considering. At the end of the day the plans/contingencies we are putting in place are simply to get us out of the poo if necessary. Plus it's blo@dy heavy :lmao:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Rumcelt mentioned scanning documents which is something I tend to do if travelling. I keep a copy on a USB stick, on my phone as well as having a photocopy of my passport to hand.

Another useful trick though is to set up a webmail account, scan & PDF your docs (password protecting is also a very good idea) then email the docs to the webmail account. That way even if you lose your passport/visa, your phone, USB stick & copies...all you need is access to any internet enabled phone/computer to get to your docs.

Apart from that, the only other thing that sprang to mind was a camebak or similar water bladder. I noticed you had water bottles on your list but I find most people don't tend to keep themselves sufficiently hydrated when on the move as they often have to stop to get to their water. With a hydro-bladder, you can easily take a few gulps as needed without slowing your pace (if anything the drinking tube acts as a constant reminder) If you're bugging out at speed it could be a useful addition...

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Op, some good rec's above. I fly with a guy who did SL and various African contracts in his past, and going on discussions we've had, couple of points for your bug out kit.

1) Small set of binoculars. A set of cheap £10 8x21 will serve you well and are invaluable for getting a run down on whats around you. Take up no space at all.
2) Silicone water bladder, and fill it every chance you get. You can bet people will get dehydrated in a stress situation, as the adrenaline hides the thirst very well up until it starts to become a visible issue. Use the buddy buddy system to make sure people get it down there necks as much as they can.
3) A high flow water filter. He used to use the First Need XL, as it takes out everything (is it still the only one certified by the Americans for disaster crews?) thats nasty, is easy to use and flows well. Your popularity goes through the roof when your the water guy.
4) Batteries. You will be amazed how quick modern kit like GPS and lights burn through them.
5) A bombproof backpack. Dont cheap out like he did - his first lasted a month before it died! Go for Maxpedition or 5.11 etc. The operator boys use them for a reason.
6) Lifeboat rations, blue pack ones. Taste like crap but awesome calorie content.
7) Lock Picks. Good for getting into stores via padlocks etc, and be practiced and know how to use them. I'm quite keen on playing with mine, and can open most stuff. You'd be amazed how addictive picking is. Mine are of Southord manufacture.

He also carried 5 gram bars of gold as bargaining chips, sewn into variious places on clothes/backpack etc, but that might be a bit extreme for some. He does reckon he needed that once though to get a fuel bowser to come out and fuel the aircraft at a time when bad guys were coming over the hill.

Good luck, hope it all works out.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We have licensed radio frequencies and radios here which are utilised onsite. Body armour is not really something worth considering. At the end of the day the plans/contingencies we are putting in place are simply to get us out of the poo if necessary. Plus it's blo@dy heavy :lmao:

The radio frequencies utilized onsite will help keep you in contact with each other (I assume they're hand-held belt type units) and the Sat phone will get you in touch with evac from outside so it sounds like you're goodd to go there.

Yep, body armor is heavy. I wore a vest under my shirt every day as a cop.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
5) A bombproof backpack. Dont cheap out like he did - his first lasted a month before it died! Go for Maxpedition or 5.11 etc. The operator boys use them for a reason...
...7) Lock Picks. Good for getting into stores via padlocks etc, and be practiced and know how to use them. I'm quite keen on playing with mine, and can open most stuff. You'd be amazed how addictive picking is. Mine are of Southord manufacture.

He also carried 5 gram bars of gold as bargaining chips, sewn into variious places on clothes/backpack etc, but that might be a bit extreme for some. He does reckon he needed that once though to get a fuel bowser to come out and fuel the aircraft at a time when bad guys were coming over the hill.

Good luck, hope it all works out.

Agree with most of your reccomendations but I believe he said they're using military begens so I think he has #5 covered (maybe not comfortable but pretty much bombproof)

As for #7, lock picks might be a dangerous item to have in your possession if taken into custody; could definitely give the impression of being a looter, spy, etc. In any case if you really need to "appropriate" supplys an axe will open most doors just as well.

The gold might be a good trade item and along those lines I would suggest a supply of cigarettes to trade as well (cheaper and lighter than gold)

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
only thing i would say is a 120L bergen is a little on the large side for a grab bag... can you reduce the size to a 45litre bag or smaller ? in my pervious life we always went with smaller bags, which you can add a water bladder and i would hydration salts... a compass and small map as GPS is great when it work...but i would also have the basics too

All the best c2518 :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
only thing i would say is a 120L bergen is a little on the large side for a grab bag... can you reduce the size to a 45litre bag or smaller ? in my pervious life we always went with smaller bags, which you can add a water bladder and i would hydration salts... a compass and small map as GPS is great when it work...but i would also have the basics too

All the best c2518 :)

Be careful with the salts, especially if your food is MREs (or any other military rations or civilian canned foods for that matter) With them you'll already be getting a near toxic dose of sodium. If you really feel a need though it might be better to include powdered sports drink mixes (such as Gatorade or another brand) They might have the added benefit of making dubious tastiing water more paletable.

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
Do you not get issued a PLB like the romad heard that some lads in Nigeria got issued them while on the rigs would help in
location if not able to make ERV. Etc by all accounts not too much money either if I remember right they can be set up in different ways to either constant monitor or you it the button and it sends a text with long lat and a rescue message !

Basha

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
EPIRB or PLB some have built in sat nav, at least a days calories, everyone to have duplicate personal med's kept in their grab bag you don't want to be looking for pills/inhaler/whatever in your digs if its all going wrong. & you don't need an avoidable sick/incapable man when bailing out either.

In a perfect world some flares & a means to clear a landing zone quickly would be high on my wish list, and a bunch of the good guys in copters coming to get me out of there PDQ but I guess thats not an option.

I would think your food stockpiles are nice targets & likely to be compromised especially if supply routes are cut, the locals know everything & say nothing in places like that.

I wouldn't fancy lugging 45lbs through jungle heat :eek: Good luck

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Lots of great ideas although these bags are going to have to be a good size to fit all the exellent suggestions...

...failing that, why not just buy a pair of 'ruby slippers' each...I'm sure you could track some down on e-bay :p

Seriously though, must be a worrying thought wondering when/if it's going to hit the fan...hope everything turns out OK and you guys are safe.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Laplander saw plus bug dope comes to mind.

Strong plastic garbage bags & a candle (if not included in the fire kit).

Signal device (strobe, flare etc.)

SPOT system

Food?

Basic mnemonic: [MODDED] (First Aid & Fire, Shelter & Signal, Water & Food)

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE