Side/broad Axe Advice Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I have just been told of a small bonus in the offing at work ;) and have had my eye on a gransfors swedish broad axe for some time now.

Its unlikely im goign to be building any log cabins but would love one for my collection and can think of a few places i can at least put it through its paces.

What is confusing me is which one version i should be looking to get as google searchs are making my head spin.

I am right handed and "think" :confused: i should be getting it bevelled on the right and forged to the left???

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Hamster

rg598

Native
There are different ways to hold it, so that will change exactly what you need. I am right handed, and I use a hold similar to what I would use on a felling axe, and I do the work on my left side. Because of that I need an axe where the handle is offset to the right (when holding the handle and looking down), and a flat surface on the left side/beveled on the right (again when holding the handle and looking down.

Here you can see one that I have hung the way I like it.

[video=youtube;zza6qY-WtHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zza6qY-WtHw[/video]

However, I don't use broad axes much, so take what I say with a grain on salt. This is just what feels comfortable to me. Here you can see some use of a broad axe (the relevant part is at about the 20 min mark):

[video=youtube;ojyl-dS4tRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojyl-dS4tRE[/video]

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
And just to confuse matters, I have a symmetrical grind, symmetrical handled broad axe, and I'm right handed.

I chose this one to be able to do 'everything' reasonably well, rather than some things brilliantly and other things badly.

I just need to get a chance to use it....

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE