Cairngorm camping: advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 5, 2017
London
Hello

I'm looking to walk from dalwhinnie to braemar in November (next week) through the glens via camping one night in glen feshie. I've no intention of going to the tops. I'm really keen to get into doing more expeditions and thought I'd cut my teeth with this one. Thing is, all I read about the cairngorm is how likely it is you will die and I'm beginning to doubt my ability. I'm reasoning that what applies to the tops does not apply to the glens but is that right? I'll be packing and wearing several layers. Got the maps and compass and can use them. Got a tent - but I wouldn't take it to the arctic. I'll have a good idea of my emergency exits if required. Any tips, advice gratefully received. While I appreciate the cairngorm is a special kind of dangerous place its difficult not to let its reputation distorting my plans: it doesn't feel like a completely bonkers idea but will listen to expert views!!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sounds like you have the skill set with the navigation and the weather looks OK for next week, good time of the year to do it. It'll possibly drop to zero or slightly below at night and winds can be cold this time of year, so make sure your warm enough and get enough calories in you. As Hamish said, stay warm and dry.

Have a good trip, stay safe and enjoy yourself.

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
the hills in the cairngorms are big and rounded so being in the glens doesn't necessarily mean you are sheltered... perhaps a few degrees warmer and winds a bit less fierce, but if it's wild up top it'll probably be wild lower. Don't know your route mind and isn't there a bothy in feshie?

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
A nice route. Weather is getting pretty rotten so keep a dry base layer (top,bottoms, socks) in a small dry bag for bed time. No major snow forecast or LIKELY this early. You sound confident so make a route. Leave it with someone. Make sure they know who to call if you don’t report in at an expected time and your covered. Have fun and enjoy yourself! Keep an eye out for the Cairngorms wild raindeer herd. (Not kidding) you may be lucky. And haggis are in rut.

Reactions: clydeman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE