Shrinking wool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
Ive got 2 wool jumpers I bought but they have a VERY loose weave which makes them quite useless. Does anyone know how to shrink these so they'll provide good insulation. One's 85/15 and one's 50/50.

Cheers, Andy.

Last edited:

mrrivers

Feb 21, 2011
lincolnshire
www.facebook.com
give them to my SWMBO to wash mate.

you could hot wash them, but that could shrink them too much, and it makes wool harsh and nasty. try progressively hotter washes. that is kinda last resort stuff though, i am sure someone else will know better.

chris.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
ummmmm just sort of thinking aloud.. to felt wool you would lay it in a large plastic bag, add fairy liquid, warm water and then rough it up a lot, i wonder if you put it on inside out, took a sisal bath mitt and slopped on the fairy liquid and gave yourself a good old massage it might shrink and felt it a bit leaving the outside looking ok???? lol, like i said just thinking aloud and wondering... no insurance claims please

why not just wear them both together?

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
lol creative thinking there L8starter. I might give it a go, I'll try bathe it in hot water for a while with fairy liquid. Might work.
Cheers lads.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
If it's a mix of wool and nylon / poly etc the wool will shrink but the other won't at all. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by the 85/15 and 50/50 bit).

The missus made me a hat as she wanted to experiment with felting ... unfortunately some of the wool wasn't ([pure] and we now have a nice tea cosy!

Several increasing hot washes (ideally by hand) then a go with a tumble dryer seems to be the suggested method, although these folks have alternating ideas! http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=545940

Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE