Shrink pot help.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I was inspired to have a go by Two Socks recent post I gave one a try this evening after converting my marking gauge to a cutter gauge (with a file):-

I was wondering however:-

how thick to leave the base

how deep the rebate for the bottom should be

do I dry in in the heat/house or slow drying like a kuksa.

Thanks in advance

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I too was much interested in this after reading TwoSocks post............Then having read this one I googled "how to make a shrink pot" and there's too much info to link to! You tube and all sorts of others......

Have a look, see what you think, and let us see what you end up with................................Good luck with it.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
thanks. Yeah, I Googled all sort of combinations of "how to make a shrink pot" and when you watch the vids etc they are not too detailed about the fitting of the bottom.

Lots of stuff telling you to cut the ring etc etc and 90 degrees but not too much about the depths etc detail which was surprising.

Was hoping someone who had experience of making one could help.

Need to know about fast/slow drying.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Hey, I was just about to make a small tutorial on how I do it with minimal tools. It`ll be up tomorrow somewhere. I am by no means an expert, but I keep the walls about 1 cm thick. I do not count the bark with that. The groove I cut isn`t that deep. A few mm. I am drying them indoors but away from the heat, but I do not think the risk of cracking is that high.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE