Show us your wooden tool boxes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! I just wondered what I'd done!

I've got the brass corners and enough 1/2 inch brass screws to hold them on as well as stocked up on 75mm x 610mm belts of suitable grades to finish it quickly. Just need to score some wood for the carrying handle I can turn down to the 1 1/4 inch I find most comfortable.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After a good sand inside and out I rounded the bottom corners off and fitted the brass corner protectors on with half inch brass screws ( with it being oak I had decided all metal bits would be brass, I had a little bag of one inch panel pins made from the same, the battens are held on with them ). Nailed the two 1" squarebattens down the length 20mm in from the edge to raise it up. Then I slapped on a lot of linseed oil and left it to dry.

image.jpg1_zps5ulzg4yf.jpg

I need to get a piece of wood that's either 1 1/4" diameter or something I can turn down to that. Oak or ash will suit me best.

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

This is a Patternmakers toolbox that I was given by a workmate (Patternmaker!) We suffered bad flooding at work in around 2006/7 and afterwards new steel toolboxes were bought for the patternmakers, The lad asked me if I wanted it, No water had entered the box, The joints were that good! None of his hand tools got wet!

He made this as part of his apprenticeship, It weighs in very heavy, He couldn't remember what the wood was though!!

It has three sliding trays along with a compartment with a tray and a lid to the left and had clamps to hold tools in the lid, I have it full of rammmel now :p

TB1.jpg

TB2.jpg

It's definitely hardwood rather than pine..

Those two bits of wood to the left are Lignum Vitae, He gave me those too ;)

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi

This is a Patternmakers toolbox that I was given by a workmate (Patternmaker!) We suffered bad flooding at work in around 2006/7 and afterwards new steel toolboxes were bought for the patternmakers, The lad asked me if I wanted it, No water had entered the box, The joints were that good! None of his hand tools got wet!

He made this as part of his apprenticeship, It weighs in very heavy, He couldn't remember what the wood was though!!

It has three sliding trays along with a compartment with a tray and a lid to the left and had clamps to hold tools in the lid, I have it full of rammmel now :p

TB1.jpg

TB2.jpg

Oh thats nice!

When we first moved to the valley i bought a complete Pattern Makers chest but nowhere near as well done as that. it had all the tools in their own spaces and since i don't drive and wasn't being chauffeured by herself I had to get it back by bus. It very nearly crippled me, i was still feeling it 3 days later! when herself got home she immediately said, why didn't you take a taxi and I felt such I idiot. Now i have a lot of chests of draws to store tools in its been pretty much relegated to storing all the stuff I hardly or never use but may do at some distant future date apart from the easily accessible top tray which is great for small stuff like chuck keys, cold chisels, tommy bars and allan keys.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Picked up a piece of seasoned ash from the off cuts area at the timber yard in the valley. Cost me three quid but there's enough left over to do a small axe handle.

Anyroad, I trimmed it to length and width and marked the ends and planed the corners off. It turned quite well but I finished off with more time with the sand paper and big permagrit block than I should have . I didn't fancy turning it all the way in case I made a hash of it. I think I took in too much wood dust as I turned the ends into what for me is fancy bits, one ends a acorn and the other a mushroom. I have no idea why.

image.jpg2_zpsvigzexxn.jpg

More than by luck than judgement it holds my green woodwork kit nicely with some space for a few more bits.

ATB

Tom

pedrodog66

Jun 9, 2014
Dalgety Bay
Stunning! Thought it looked a bit like parana pine, does it have any red, pink or purple tinges in the wood, if so it's probs parana which is harder and denser than normal pine. If it's hardwood it could perhaps be yew, whatever it is it's well fine!!

Hi

TB1.jpg

TB2.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! No doubt after a few months it won't be as pretty, I'm not sure how long the ornaments will last, but it's 3/4" oak and the handles sound ash so it should last and being wood will be repairable easy enough.

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE