Show us your wooden tool boxes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since I've acquired some decent green wood tools and will be getting some more as my skills develop my thoughts have turned to how to store and carry them.

Currently my hand tools live in a variety of draws and a couple of wooden chests, a few in racks on the wall or the smaller ones in pots on shelves and radiator tops. All theses are pretty much bankfull and current funds mean no more chests of draws will be appearing in the near future.

I'm not a big fan of plastic toolboxes ( although I do use 5 of them to store my sewing kit, leather working kit, tools waiting to be restored and small materials like bits of horn and lumps of brass) mainly as the handles tend to be on the lids. I'm even less of a fan of metal boxes as I tend to cripple myself on them or whack something with then. So I'm thinking of making a old school wooden open topped job.

so, please show me yours!

ATB

Tom

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Wrnanglerstar on YouTube just did a step by step series of videos on making one Tom

Thanks for that, well worth a look.

[video=youtube;LYB3Z_FDh34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYB3Z_FDh34[/video]

And from a quick look through, that looks like my hand drill! :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I used to keep my crooked knives in the fingers of a pair of gloves.
Got to thinking about a home for them.
Over crowed now = add 5 more knives, a D-adze and another planer knife.

NEWPICTURES007_zps714f70b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you. There is a spliced loop of nylon rope which wraps around the box for handles.
I hope that the cut-outs give you a sense of the blade sweeps.

The image posting happened nearly by accidental mouse clicks.
I just hate it when that's my road to success.
I am doing an autopsy, trying to figure out what the sequence was.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I have three tool boxes/chests that are self made and one I inherited from Suzy's dad, none quite match what I think is the epitome of tool chests that is

[video=youtube_share;6cGNT-RSkEU]http://youtu.be/6cGNT-RSkEU[/video]

Rob.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the input folks! The wranglestar tutorials will be very useful, its something like that, but slightly shorter, I was thinking of.

Now to get some wood. The middle son won a prize at school which he didn't want so sold it on eBay and has very sweetly insisted we use the money to buy some wood so we can make some stuff together. There's a place over Hathersage way that advertises quarter sawn oak for what looks to be a good price but we are rather dependent on the wife chauffeuring us there to pick it up. So if we can butter her up we'll soon have a £100 worth of 1/2 inch thick oak to blunt all my shiny tools on.

In the mean time I got a small trug ( in the obligatory green ) to carry the green tools about in.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The shell of my knife box is made from 1/2" X 6" wood for the edge.
I cut the top and bottom face pieces from what we call "door skin" = a 1/8" mahogany ply needed for custom building odd-sized doors.
Once finished, I ran the case through the table saw to separate the top and bottom parts.
All the other inside fixtures were set in with a hot glue gun.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks it's taken me a while to get the wood but using 1 and a half of the 3/4" thick shelves from the oak chest of draws/cupboard I've got this far over the last two days making myself a open topped tool box. Space inside is 26 inches long by 6 wide and 7 high. I decided on no internal divisions as that would limit the size of what I wanted to carry too much.

The corners are simple joints using my morticer for the first time in anger and the base is pegged on, everything is stuck with the flying model grade alphetic resin glue which is water and oil proof and leaves a join that's stronger than the wood around it., lovely stuff, if pricey.

image.jpg1_zpsinlloajw.jpg

i need to finish sanding it inside and out and find a bit of suitable wood to turn the handle from and peg that on. Finish will be just linseed oil. I'm thinking of giving it a shoulder strap.

Actually I may varnish the bottom as it's mainly going to be used with my green woodworking tools or the long tongs and hammers for the forge so will sometimes be sitting on damp grass.

ATB

Tom

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That looks the business Tom goodjob

Actually I may varnish the bottom as it's mainly going to be used with my green woodworking tools or the long tongs and hammers for the forge so will sometimes be sitting on damp grass.

Personally I'd put a couple battons on the bottom as well just to raise it off the damp ground

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent thought! I'll whip a couple off with the band saw.

if I tack them on with plenty of panel pins or similar and no glue I'll be able to rip them off and replace them when they get battered/ worn down. Like the false keel on a boat.

since I'm going to get some decent belt sander belts any way ( my last one is white frankly bald or I would have finished it last night) I'll get 4 brass corner protectors as well as from looking at others that's were most of the hammer occurs.

ATB

Tom

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Anyone know why there's a little thumbsdown icon next to my thread now? If I've done something wrong I'd like to know so I can rectify it?tom

icon13.png
I see this next to
[h=2]Show us your wooden tool boxes![/h]No idea how it got there though.

rorymax

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How is it now for the rest ?

Tom, I had to Edit the thread in Mods to change that icon….I think it's only something that the person setting up the thread would usually be able to do.
Don't know, but I'll flag this for Admin to have a looksee.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE