Show us your bow drill sets!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cheers mate!

That's a smashing set you've made there! Really good!

As you say there must be more so let's see them! :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Bearingblockshell.jpg

0a38fef5-97d5-4e5d-94e9-8fb5e3600e46.jpg

Here's my bearing block - a limpet shell in a turned ash semi sphere.

There's a coincidence now, I was just looking through a bag o limpet shell's this morning I collected on Thurso beach the other day , I'm planning on using a Birch burr for the bearing block "purely for astetic value" and seat the shell with a pinch o Birct tar .
I've shell's ranging from about half inch across to about 2 inch, So here's my question bud, what size would you suggest ? Cheers.

AYE 18/9/2014

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
There's a coincidence now, I was just looking through a bag o limpet shell's this morning I collected on Thurso beach the other day , I'm planning on using a Birch burr for the bearing block "purely for astetic value" and seat the shell with a pinch o Birct tar .
I've shell's ranging from about half inch across to about 2 inch, So here's my question bud, what size would you suggest ? Cheers.

AYE 18/9/2014

Apologies for butting in but I use a limpet shell too and can offer my opinion :)

At the risk of this being modded for gratuitous innuendo, I find that it isn't the size that matters as much as the thickness.

As the top of the drill is cut to a near point it will fit nicely in any shell but if the shell is very thin it will actually wear through it (depends how prolific a bow driller you are!).

To sum up, a thicker shell of about 1 inch across will last you for ages.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Apologies for butting in but I use a limpet shell too and can offer my opinion :)

At the risk of this being modded for gratuitous innuendo, I find that it isn't the size that matters as much as the thickness.

As the top of the drill is cut to a near point it will fit nicely in any shell but if the shell is very thin it will actually wear through it (depends how prolific a bow driller you are!).

To sum up, a thicker shell of about 1 inch across will last you for ages.

Hi Stringmaker.

He he he ;-) But I know what you mean bud.
I was a bit concerned about shell strength and wall err thickness when I was collecting , that's why I thought the tar might help spread the load a bit, there's also some different species of limpets around here , one type has a very tall conical shell plus Birch is very common around here so I might as well try making a couple , but around 1inch sounds good to me cheers Bro.

Aye 18/9/2014

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Here's a small set I made this morning. I did get three embers but they all died out quickly. Going to give it another go tonight indoors.

20140521_121658_zpsae1ce5de.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Some brilliant sets on here! The small ones are dead clever!

Loving it! Let's sees me more- I know they're out there! :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
never mind, i only did the small one for a bit of fun anyway, stick to the inuit you really mastered that one and you don't need a bow, you might have already seen this but if not watch from 10:48 (near the end of film, inuit fire drill) he has the notch cut differently to whats normally seen. https://www.nfb.ca/film/tuktu_ten_thousand_fishes ATB :)

Last edited:

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
never mind, i only did the small one for a bit of fun anyway, stick to the inuit you really mastered that one and you don't need a bow, you might have already seen this but if not watch from 10:48 (near the end of film, inuit fire drill) he has the notch cut differently to whats normally seen. https://www.nfb.ca/film/tuktu_ten_thousand_fishes ATB :)

That's brilliant Joonsy. Thanks for that mate. I've been looking for a documentary with Inuit people starting a fire for the last couple of days.
I sat through this last night, hoping to see someone doing it but nothing. Still worth a watch if you have time.

[video=youtube;JxKmEY1U4uE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxKmEY1U4uE[/video]

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
cheers mate, will watch that tomorrow (thursday) i'll enjoy that and look forward to it, off to bed now, ATB :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE