Show me your projects :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The craft side of Bushcraft really appeals to me (as well as sharp pointy things and kit in general :)). As such I enjoy a nice project.
Hears some of mine, so now show me yours ;)
A picture paints a thousand words so post a pic to give an idea of what you made, etc

f1303bda5f749de4119faffec7a706a1_zps3e1ff719.jpg

karesuando knife kit. My first real knife and a great kit. Love it. Could be better but it was my first.

cf8f560d0edf96a29ae31697930991e9_zps8fd286f1.jpg

This is a Raker 15" blade so nice and compact rather than the usual full size version. Would have liked some nice beech, oak, etc, but did not have access or budget. So B&Q and bought some pine strip wood. Already the size I needed and manageable project for hand tools.

16b0613c5ec9a535735e31aad4d1b776_zps1f17dc44.jpg

Kuksa's from split birch. Would love to find a burl to do a nice one.

9bce3312ffb5ea8ae387a60941bb5fc1_zps47d3fe6c.jpg

Antler pot, drilled hollow and with a wooden base and stopper. Needles, tweezers and fish hooks carved from the same deer antler. The awls are some small Allen keys ground to a point and a birch handle and some tubing cut to make a collar.

Now your turn. Give me some ideas :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Sadly no. Cut a piece of antler, draw the hook on it and start carving. Then scrape to get a finish. Point of fine knife to drill the hole. Fiddley and I broke a few hooks but nice when they turn out.
Now show me a project you have done in the past and a pic :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Lots of nice stuff there mate ! I particularly like the compact saw.

Fit in the rucksack easy and packs more punch than my Laplander. Bit longer in length but not much. With more tools I'd like a go at a full size one in a nice hardwood. Could shape the cross bar then.
Thought pine would not hold up well, but it actually works well and is light.

Thanks all. Now your projects. I needs your ideas to steal ;)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
You make knives and things of antler I see! I really like your sewing kit and fishing hooks.
If you like making knives and working with antler, like I do, an antlerknife might be fun to give a try:

It's a lot of work but very satisfying when it's done and they are good to use:) This one took me about 40 hours.

That's the sort of reply I wanted. How did you do the scrimshaw type detail. Also how does the leather hold onto the antler?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Scrimshaw's easy: You sand down to about 1000 grit, than you use a small, sharp knife (a sharpened piece of a hacksaw blade is perfect!). You must carve it both ways, so that it becomes a V shape. Don't go too deep. It takes some practice. Saami folk filled it up with some smelly alder bark brew, but I like to use oil paint. After engraving sand with some finer gritts.

The leather holds on to the antler by shrinking it around the handle and antler sheath part, much like it would on a normal sheath. You can use some glue to hold it together. Filing some tracks into the antler will also help. Usually just sewing it really tighly combined with the shrinkage makes it stick to the antler.

If you're interested check out these tutorials:

https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=15
https://www.brisa.fi/portal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=15

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
[QUOTE

Beside a dried wigeon wing just cause, well it's lovely. Good knife for boning or carving big joints, bit big for bushcrafty things. Nothing more recent I'm afraid.[/QUOTE]

That's very nice mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE