Show is pics of your primitive bows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
So what do everyones favorite primitive bows look like??

Here is one that I just finished. Its a snaky 56" sinew-backed osage.

Well this one was so much fun to work on. It had a snaky grain that sort of mirrored itself after the handle again. The tips lined up with a little heat at the handle and then there's the propeller twist of the upper limb, but it all worked out ok. I added some red food color to the glue for the last layer of sinew. There are three sinew layers in all, some black paint rubbed into the low spots on the sinew back then sanded smooth some hemp wraps, Purple Heart tip overlays and a buckskin handle wrap .then some tongue oil to finish. As far as I can tell it has no hand shock. Its 56 inchs long 1 1/2 inchs wide to about 3/8 inch at the tips, 60# @ 25".

newbow071.jpg

newbow.jpg

newbow078.jpg

newbow079.jpg

newbow076.jpg

newbow077.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice, I like sinewed osage bows, got one under way at the moment.
Here's my yew longbow 70#@28". Backed with oaktanned salmon skin.
2006_0526Image0001.jpg

2006_0526Image0002.jpg

2006_0526Image0004.jpg

2006_0526Image0005.jpg

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I had a go at making a box, following the guidelines in "The Traditional Bowyer's Bibly" and on a couple of websites, but didn't have much joy. It cracked when I was tillering.

Last Friday, I picked up "Making Indian Bows and Arrows the Old Way" by Douglas Spotted Eagle (ISBN 0-943604-21-4).

This recommends black locust (robinia pseudoacacia), and it just happens that the Dept. of Public Works is cutting down some of these right by my house today. I just had a word with the team leader, who tells me that the logs are going to be left there overnight, so I can help myself.

Now if I can find somebody with a hydraulic log splitter...

Is green wood OK for splitting into bow staves, or should I dry the logs before splitting?

K.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I prefer to give my wood a year or so before spiltting it. Paint the ends with some PVA adhesive and put it somewhere dry.

If you split it green it will season quicker but if it decides to split while it is drying you could end up with something unusable becuse it has split down the middle of your stave.

If you let the shakes develop in the whole log then you can go with them when splitting out your staves.

I know some folks like to rough out a bow while the wood is still green because it can work a bit easier.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
I would split it green. You do have to worry about it drying too fast and having it crack and check. To prevent this, cover both ends and few inches down each side from the end with wax, paint or glue. Take the bark of the back and also cover it with wax, paint or glue. This will prevent little bugs that live under the bark from chewing at the wood.

Darrel

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Just posted this bow over at paleoplanet but I'll stick it up here too.
Sinew backed osage with an oaktanned salmonskin covering, 44" nock to nock 1 1/4" wide and around 40lbs at 24" draw,. It has linen thread wraps and a buckskin handle.

2006_0925Image0002.jpg

2006_0925Image0003.jpg

2006_0925Image0005.jpg

2006_0925Image0009.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE