Shovels?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Always got a folding (MOD) one in the van or camper or in the pack when canoeing, it can be used as a ground anchor to moor the canoe if needed.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I keep a folding shovel in the car all the time so it's available whenever needed. In winter I add a folding snow shovel (along with a pack of other cold-weather gear).

For walking or lightweight camping, I've got a small folding mini-shovel living in my rucksack that I got from the poundshop.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's possible to move earth by using a stout stick with a chisel point and your bare hands.
A tame badger would be another option.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Most garden centres do a cheap plastic trowel for about £1.00. If you can, find one with a little cap on the end of the handle. The handle is hollow and will hold a couple of days supply of loo roll inside... One like this
WE195361main1.jpg

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I carry a Cold steel sf shovel, lots of uses. Clearing brambles, digging holes chopping wood an allround great bit of kit.
Mark

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Any one got the gerber e tool? And got any feedback on the product, its pretty pricey, not sure f its worth the price over sonething else

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I carry a Cold steel sf shovel, lots of uses. Clearing brambles, digging holes chopping wood an allround great bit of kit.
Mark

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these as I have a little thing for digging in and making hobbit type hole shelters, can you tell me if you think it's a hard core spade for this type of use.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
the hori hori in carbon steel is heavy but one of the most useful diggers i've ever used.

i keep a real shovel in the truck, but the hori hori is wqhat i use the most.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
glad i found this thread on internet, have joined just because of it, now for some toilet humour.

Have been looking for a new one to replace my wilko purchaced , fixed wooden handle trowell that i cut down to weigh 110g , lots lighterthan a coleman folder (160g), the same size head , but still too heavy to be used so little.

Have found a robert kelly cathole titanium shovel for $40usd that weighs 0.4oz , 11g that looks good, but i also purchaced a wood burner so a cold steel thingy does sound useful, sounds similar to the special forces ones, axe etc!

Sorry to hijak the thread again (another one!) as i know the original poster was asking about full size spade diggermejigs, but had to say.

I know the special forces (us forces at least) carry a folding telescopic thing thats also an axe for killing with, and then you could bury the evidence their after. Boom boom.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If I were to get a shovel it would totally be the cold steel special forces shovel! it's pretty awesome! capable of chopping like ana xe, splitting wood, digging, cutting and fending off the badgers on a full moon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7EdhnReYH0 typical cold steel advertisemnts but still informative!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
the plastic special looks good , it'll probaby be the replacement. Cheap too !

On the other hand a fixed blade bowie knife can be used as a knife , axe and digger, which is useful with a wood stove, but heavy at a pound!

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these as I have a little thing for digging in and making hobbit type hole shelters, can you tell me if you think it's a hard core spade for this type of use.
Totally up to it mate its a copy of a Russian special forces shovel google up what those guys do with the originals, the cold steel is supposed to be more heavy duty. I love mine so many uses.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Might be a time to curb your ideas from making you carry more unnecessary kit. I do it all the time. Packs seemingly fill and unfill with unused stuff like the weather. Then when you really do need that one, obscure thing, it's not there. The well known paradox continues...

I have a NATO folder in the back of the car, but mostly for poking around rubbish dumps and on the rare occasion, metal detecting. It sat for a long time though, covered in silt and needed a lot of bashing and WD40 to free it up.

Wintertime calls for a much bigger shovel, with a longer handle. It just makes life so much easier, enables a longer reach and is particularly good if you're lanky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE