Should titanium rust?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Sure, Ti can rust. Rust is properly called "oxidation."

When Iron reacts with Oxygen, it forms Iron Oxide which is a redish to grey-blackish flakey powdery substance. That's what we normally think of as rust. This reaction is slow.

When Aluminum reacts with Oxygen, it forms Aluminum Oxide which is a crystal-clear substance that is in the same league as diamond for hardness. Aluminum Oxide is commonly used as an industrial abrasive. This reaction is very, very fast. Virtually every piece of aluminum you've ever seen has been completely covered with rust. But, because it's clear, you don't see it. And because it's so tough, it actually self-limits. After a layer only a few molecules thick forms on the surface, no more oxygen can get in and the reaction stops. So, the reason Aluminum is commonly thought of as rust-proof is that it's already covered in rust.

When Titanium reacts with Oxygen, if forms Titanium Oxide which is a powdery white substance that's fairly soft (on the same order as chalk). Titanium Oxide is very, very bright white. In fact, it's a common pigment in white paint. It's also common in cosmetics, especially powders where it lightens the color, gives a bit of a "sparkle" appearance that people associate with purity and cleanliness, and also helps keep the powder from caking and clumping. The oxidation of Titanium at room temperature proceeds at almost glacial rates. So, your cup will rust, yes, sorry, but not in your lifetime or that of your children or grand children or great-great grandchildren or...

The only thing I can think of is that your kettle is made of a titanium alloy (amalgamation of 2 or more metals) and one or more of the alloy components is inferior, causing it to rust like steel etc

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Celt,
Could it be dissimular metal corrosion? I used to have the same problem as I stored a gas canister in my titanium kettle. Im no expert but apparently this happens easily so now I put the gas in a plastic bag. Ed

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
OK, thanks Maddave, so now I will ask, "If I rub it down, will it do any harm, or should I talk to MSR about it?"

Should be OK to rub off. Interesting what Limaed said though...Have you stored anything in it that may have given rust transferrence? It might be just a stain. If not I'd give it a scrub and see what happens. If it continues send it back to MSR. These things aren't cheap so you want a product that should be corrosion free... Good luck

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
The natural oxidation of titanium only increases its corrosion resistance.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I did store a gas canister in it, but it was in a plastic bag. Still, if there was a hole in the bag, which there may well have been, it could be rust from the canister. I've rubbed the rust down now, so I'll watch and see if it comes back again.

If its rust coloured its rust, not the titanium corroding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE