Should kit be subdued or bright?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which is best?

• Stand out and be counted my friend!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Subdued rules! You can see me but...

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • camoflage, Blend me in baby!

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
B

Bob Hurley

I usually wear mostly greys and medium browns, they blend in here even in the spring (doesn't match the leaves, but you can't see through the leaves, can you?). I've been thinking about going back to camoflage especially for hunting. There isn't really a stigma about military camo here (I used to hunt in US issue camo, ALICE suspenders and buttpack), and you see a lot of all types of camo in everyday dress. I don't think you'd raise any eyebrows unless you were in full military issue right down to the boots and beret ...

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Subdued certainly, I get eyesore from some of that dayglo neon that is worn by some. I go into the bush to return to nature can do without the bright stess, but that's just me. Blend with my surroundings.
just a thought

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
over here we call those hikers "human signal flares, or h.s.f.'s", nothing I like less than a great piece of backwoods doted with gaerish colored h.s.f.'s, only good thing about them is if the systems ever fll they'll draw all the small arms fire!

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Adi Fiddler said:
Orange and practically the orange that survival bags are coloured with is a very effective camouflage on a green foliage background, especially from a search and rescue helicopter.

I have always preferred to carry one of the foil emergency bags for this reason, and the fact that they have superior thermal properties and are lighter and less bulky. Slightly more expensive than the pvc option but, should you ever get to deploy one, you will probably think it money well spent!

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
begining to spot a pattern here. I seem to be with the majority - subdued clothing worn but carry a high vis vest for emergencies or walking along roads.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I am definetely in the subdued category. I like to stealth camp in areas that aren't exactly open to camping. Here in Brazil hiking in full camo can get you in trouble. I try not to look military. I do like ot blend in.

I usually carry a bright T-shirt to make myself look really civilian when I have to. Mac

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Most of my gear is plain olive green. I don't have a problem with camo but some places abroad you can be in real trouble if you're wearing it and not in the military. Better to appear more civvy with a liking for green than go yomping thru the mountains with full ALICE kit , chest rig and beanie hat IMO

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
ChrisKavanaugh said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/12/flooded.backwoods.ap/index.html

Lipscomb had been in the flooded timberland near Hollowell Reservoir for about 12 hours when he was rescued. To survive, he drank dirty bayou water and ate a raw duck breast.

I don't know about you lot but I think I could manage 12 hours without resorting to that. Although I did drink Skol once which was probably the same.

Oh and definatly subdued colours.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
MarkG said:
I don't know about you lot but I think I could manage 12 hours without resorting to that. Although I did drink Skol once which was probably the same.

Oh and definatly subdued colours.

Yer me too....I know some people think I'm a tiny bit tubby....I'm not, it's simply a survival thing...gives me greater reserves to use up if I can't eat for any length of time lol. I'd definately have managed more than 12 hours before drinking unclean water and eating raw duck!!!!

Edit: In fact, I wouldn't have drank unclean water and eaten raw duck....ever!

Sounds like another score for the evil media hypers to me!!!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:roll: Oh Brother. After helping people that were going through a vision quest without food and water for (4) days and coming out of ceremony without harm, I've gained much more respect for the human body. I wouldn't want to do it under duress/stress, but a couple of days should be a piece of cake for those that aren't diabetic.

Yep, I apologize for continuing the wandering word. But felt compelled to offer up what I know about the bodies ability to do without. You'd be amazed at how well a naked body blends. :eek:):

Moine

Forager
Awright...

I think most pieces of the kit should be BRIGHT and obnoxious. Even then, you still tend to lose them in the real world of dead leaves and twigs and mud. Just last week I lost a 4 feet long bright orange sandwik saw in a 20 square feet radius (around the tree I was bucking)... Took me about 20 minutes to find it. I had buried it in leaves not taking care about it (bah! it's orange I'll find it no problem).

For a second, I seriously thought some gremlin had stalked me and stole my saw...

Anyways :D

I wear subdued clothing, though. I'm not yet crazy enough to lose my pants in the bush... (well, you never know these days...). Subdued colors blend in the forest, and they blend in socially as well : browns, greens, greys etc.

Cheers,

David

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Moine makes a good point about gear. I personally won't buy a Bic Lighter unless it's yellow. The same goes for medical kits and whistles etc. The last thing I want is for a piece of fallen kit to blend in witht he forest floor.

Often I will cache my pack and go off for a short hike without it. In such times it is nice to have a pack that blends in as I'm usually not SO far out that people couldn't stumble across my stuff. I leave it well hidden and make sure I have compass directions back to it writtn down, paces counted etc. The fact that the pack is a natural color and blending in gives me peace of mind that it will be there when I get back. Mac

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
At last year's wilderness gathering the chap from Cambrian Survival (sorry', can't remember his name) mentioned parachute drop markers, which are pieces of dayglo silky/satin cloth used to mark drop zones. Highly visible from a distance, take up next to no weight or bulk in a pack and can be used in emergencies.

The consensus is for subdued, but not military clothing. I agree. I do wear some ex-military kit but I have tried to find anything that is not DPM - not only for the usual reasons but because I also see it at work everyday! So it is plain olive green or flecktarn which to my eyes does not look as militaristic as DPM (and more importantly to most of the public here in the UK).

Best wishes

Bruce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE