Should I worry about clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a few bits and pieces, but little true outdoors clothing.

is there anything I must have??

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Something to keep you dry like a waterproof jacket and strong grippy footwear that will keep your feet dry.

After that pretty much everything is about weight, budget and preference.

Scoops

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Good boots, I didn't realise how good my boots where till I wore them to alton towers(of all places:rolleyes: ) I took my son and a couple of his friends and they where close to having trenchfoot when we came home it was so wet, I still had bone dry socks and feet. DRy and comfortable feet make a huge diffference. There are huge difference in prices of boots but they are a worthwhile investment.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Anything that will keep you warm, dry (and stylish) will do. As mentioned good footwear is a must.

Things to have in mind when shopping for clothing, some of which wasn't obvious for me at least, are amongst others:
- drying time?
- possible to repair in field?
- multipurpose? (or at least try to think of the purpose of the garment, what to use it for)
- windproof/waterproof? (the former is more prio for me, I use a waterproof set when it's raining and 'just' windproof the other time)
- weight when not in use?
- do I really need it? Will I miss it if I don't buy it?
- Insulating? (which of course is both a con and a pro depending of use)
(- environmental impact of production?)

As always, the circumstances decides what works, and what doesn't. Wellies, gore-tex and a woolen cap is nice on a damp moor, but not so practical in a desert.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Good boots are a good idea apart from all the good reasons stated, for when you are using axes.

I like the lightweight hiking idea, of layering up, so instead of a big bulky jacket, you have a wicking t-shirt, a shirt, a decent fleece(Windproof is a good idea), a decent anorka(I tend not to buy goretex, because of the fill problem I would rather be sweat wet, than rain wet all of a sudden). Had it happen with a work coat on Sunday, one minute dry, next minute soaked to the skin shivering.

You have to decide if you are a natural fibre, or a high tech fabric person. If you spend a lot of time around open fires natural fibres tend to be the thing, but they can be a pain if they get wet.

Agree with all so far - but like Dougster's the best!

It's easy to spend a fortune on clothing, and kit in general. Examine, in detail, what it is you like to do (day trips, overnighters, longer excursions, woodland, moorland, beaches, mixed etc etc) and cover those eventualities - this website, and the net, in general is an excellent resource.

But... when all is said and done, keep your feet warm, dry and healthy - spend a good proportion of your budget on the best footwear you can afford.

As Scoops said your next purchase would be the best waterproof jacket you can afford.

For anything longer than a day's excursion - you will need some form of autonomous shelter and (as Dougster said) a warm dry sleeping system. (I personally recommend a tarp and hammock for light weight and comfort)

Other than that - choose materials that are either waterproof/ resistant (gortex/ nixwax etc) or that will dry quickly (single layer cotton/ ventile etc).

If you can't meet those demands - and want to venture out in denim and a wooly pully then keep a close check on the weather forecast (All BBC weather forecasters are trained meteorologists - unlike some on the independent channels who are weather "presenters")

Good luck!

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
They have goretex army jackets on ebay for around £40. I have one and they are brilliant. Although i didn't buy mine, my mate nicked it off of someones washing line when she was a tad drunk :eek: :lmao: . Then again the guy was a git.

Very much waterproof and warm.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I spent a week alone in the Wilderness last month and spent a fair ammount of my time there without any clothes on......I'm not a naturist or naturalist or whatever it is but the weather was so nice and there was nobody about so I thought what the hell :puppy_dog

Maybe you should try the "Naked Bushcrafter" look Tengu, it's really quite liberating ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I spent a week alone in the Wilderness last month and spent a fair ammount of my time there without any clothes on......I'm not a naturist or naturalist or whatever it is but the weather was so nice and there was nobody about so I thought what the hell :puppy_dog

Maybe you should try the "Naked Bushcrafter" look Tengu, it's really quite liberating ;)

Cheers,

My only objection to doing stuff naked is that in winter it's really hard fastening the skis to my bare feet!

:lmao:

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Time to alienate myself (again) but I would suggest that you really think about what you going to be doing. Are you really going to spend weeks in the wilderness???
I think the inspiration from some of the guys on this site - who are really into the heavy stuff - persuades relative newcomers to gear up for situations that will never arise.

Theres lots of good, cheap army surplus stuff. If you can afford a really good item go for something that will serve you through a number of hobbies/situations - you may be bored with bushcraft in 5 yrs but your jacket has plenty of life left in it, i.e. don't buy too much camo, you feel a real nerd in Tescos in realtree!! I am of course talking from experience on that one.

If you spend £200 on a jacket that will last 10yrs - thats only £20 per year thats only 40 odd pence per week - A BARGAIN.

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
One thing clothing wise that I am surprised nobody has mentioned before now:
A hat.

You don't understand just how great a good hat is until you have one. My tilly hat gets used every day, all year round. Keeps the sun off when it's bright and sunny, keeps the rain off when it is raining, keeps you warm when it's cold, brilliant bit of gear.

Now, your milage may vary, but I would much rather be out and about in a cheap coat and a good hat than the other way around.

The boots thing is seconded/tenthed an all.

I'd just like to add that good boots are only as good as the socks! This is something that seems to get forgotten by a lot of folk.

2 pairs of wool socks or the "3 million miles with out a blister" type would be my choice - makes for comfy long distance walking.

Phil.

Cheers,

Hey Bam,

Got any pictures you'd like to share with us?? :p

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE