Should I worry about clothing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
*Use common sense:
-Use your head to keep you warm/cool. Up to 50% of our bodies heat are conducted from our heads.
-Never use cotton against the skin in cold/wet conditions.
-Be extremely careful with synthetics mixed with firecraft/stoves.
-Windchill is a killer, use wind resistant clothing, preferably 2 layers during winter.
-Never can have too many pairs of socks.
-Good boots that actually fits, and are orthopedic correct for your body movement are worth their weight in gold!

For starters I`d get a decent poncho, rainpants/chaps and moscito netting

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
You dare bam!!!!! lol, I wouldnt say must have mate,your enjoyment of the outdoors needent be overshadowed by the feeling you have to have must have kit, but a good pair of boots are at the top of my list, Ive just got back from the Landrover Show in Billing so if you was heading off there id say wellies :rolleyes: ;) dress for the worst possible weather you would think you may encounter and you wont go wrong.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well I am gonna disagree with nearly all of you.....Boots...Pah....Good pair of sandels is whats best this time of year, I reckon....I wear mine everywhere...I was roofing in them the other day, and I have just got back from a wet walk at the reserve in them...I have done concreting jobs in them and I have used big heavy breakers in them....They are fantastic.
Yes I do sometimes get bits lodged between my toes, I get bitten and stung and scratched, but all that is nothing compared to the feeling of fresh air on my feet....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I will wear my samdals...except when I need my saftey boots.

I have a pair of walking boots but not fancy ones. Ill only be going a few miles in them anyway.

what socks do you reccomend?

B

bosknurft

Well I am gonna disagree with nearly all of you.....Boots...Pah....Good pair of sandels is whats best this time of year, I reckon

I'll agree with that. We've had a truly miserable summer so far in the Netherlands, but I've spent a good week outdoors recently wearing nothing but a tshirt, jeans and a pair of sandals (and fresh underwear, of course!).

The advantage of wearing very little is that, in the summer, while you may get wet, you'll probably be dry in half an hour as well. You may get mud on your feet, but you can clean them in two seconds by sticking them in a puddle or something.

The weather has recently changed for the better here (not sure if it's the same on the other side of the Pond), so it's really the wrong time of the year to think about wool base layers--I'd save that for autumn or winter, so you can actually try out different approaches and test them to see what works for you and what doesn't.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I will wear my samdals...except when I need my saftey boots.

I have a pair of walking boots but not fancy ones. Ill only be going a few miles in them anyway.

what socks do you reccomend?

None with sandels, so wrong in many ways....
With boots, the best socks I have found are bridgedale coolmax liners and bridgedale trekkers.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As others have said, good footwear and a good waterproof jacket are essential. Also as said, buy a good quality jacket, and if your not out every weekend, make it dual purpose, i.e. one you can wear camping and in Tesco's etc. The army Gortex is very good, but I splashed out on a Berghaus Mera Peak, well worth the dosh, well made, keeps me dry, and I use it camping or around town.

If all your camping is in woods, then a tarp is fine, but if you sometimes camp in more barren areas (as I do), then a tent is a better bet until you can afford both. With the tent, make sure you can pitch it on your own, nylon domes are not the easiest to pitch in even a moderate wind. This type of design is good for solo campers
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COLEMAN-Avior...hZ012QQcategoryZ36118QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Same for a stove, if your in no rush then an army Trangia will work over a fire, or slowly on meths, but a four pint pot and a small gas stove is worth looking at too; you can use the pot over a fire, and get a quick brew/meal from the gas stove

There is a lot of pressure to buy 'the best kit' in all hobbies and pastimes, bushcraft is no exception, but ask your self the question, "does the amount of camping, and the weather/conditions I encounter justify the cost of" whatever it is you are thinking of getting. Do you NEED the £25 head torch, the £15 stainless steel Zebra pot, the four season sleeping bag, etc. Will you actually really benefit from it. If you have the money to spare, then fine, go for it, but if you are a two week a year camper, look at some cheaper alternatives until you know you are happy with that type of item. When you find the type of kit you like, then save up and upgrade.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Coolmax liners and smartwool/bridgedale hikers here, some swear by thorlo's, but i seem to destroy them quickly, although i've been looking at some work wear suppliers to see if i can find some cheaper option's, i'll give em a test in my new boot's and let everybody know how i get on.
Only problem with coolmax liners is they do tend to smell abit, they really do need changing everyday:yuck: , but they dry very quickly compared to cotton etc when washed.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Coolmax liners and smartwool/bridgedale hikers here, some swear by thorlo's, but i seem to destroy them quickly, although i've been looking at some work wear suppliers to see if i can find some cheaper option's, i'll give em a test in my new boot's and let everybody know how i get on.
Only problem with coolmax liners is they do tend to smell abit, they really do need changing everyday:yuck: , but they dry very quickly compared to cotton etc when washed.

I have had thorlo's and although they fitted great, as you say, they wore out really quick...I found them to be a bit uncomfortable next to the skin too...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE