Should fishing be stoped for a few years?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Buy the middle of this century we will have depleted our fish stockes
to nr extinction so shoud we stop fishing and let our stocks replenish?

Swagman

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...shoud we stop fishing and let our stocks replenish?

I don't know if it's necessary to completely abandon fishing. There have been some good successes with no-go areas, and if the fishermen would just obey the rules as they are now things could improve greatly. Unfortunately when income depends on catches and people are out on the sea with nobody watching, most of them seem to do as they please. When illegal catches are discovered, or even if they aren't, it's too late for the fish. Some businesses have been making millions from illegal fishing for many years before they've been caught, so the enforcement could do with a boost.

Most fishing seems to me to be generally speaking taking but not giving anything back. Farmers plough the land, sow seed, fertilize and so on. Fishermen by and large just go out with ever bigger mechanical aids and plunder. Clearly with the increasing human population and the collapse in some of the the fish populations (I don't like to use the term 'stocks') that hasn't been a sustainable model for a very long time.

When the number of fish in the sea is so low that you can't even find one when you go out there, fishing will stop because the fleet won't be able to pay for the diesel with what little they catch. Maybe there'll be just enough fish left to recover, maybe there won't. I'd hope that we're taking adequate precautions, but I don't know that either.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Farmers plough the land, sow seed, fertilize and so on. Fishermen by and large just go out with ever bigger mechanical aids and plunder.

I propose more fish farms then, folk in wee fishing towns who used to be employed on trawlers could perhaps work on the farms instead.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Use areas like the Dogger Bank as a nursery area with a total, enforced, ban on fishing.

Have a sensible look at the rules to stop fishermen having to tip dead undersized fish back into the sea. Net sizes would help to regulate what is actually caught and brought on board. No excuses, boat confiscated if caught using illegal gear.

Stop, prosecute, and if necessary, sink any factory ship which hoovers up anything to convert into animal feed; they indiscriminately kill all types and ages of fish.

Stop insisting on cheap fish; it's hard dangerous work to harvest the seas, and the rewards should recognise this.

Farmed fish screws up the naturally occuring fish.

All IMO.:)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
its a minefield really we should close our seas to the foreign vessels and make no fish zones for sure, fish farming is not a sound idea also for reasons mentioned above besides they still feed the farmed fish on ground up smaller fish which are part of the chain for the wild fish and the tonnages involved are counter productive so thats no real answer either. I think iceland has the best policy and the answers are out there but nobody is enforcing them such as square nets so the little fish dont get caught but even that isnt great as they are not the breeders a bass takes about 5 years to reach maturity think a cod is similar but by that age they are already sizeable. Whats weird though currently a nice piece of smoked haddock is cheaper than meat! so the incentive is to buy fish. I dont have the answers and i dont really think the authorities do either i think nursery areas would be a good start. Also read once that a big firm either sony or mitsubishi have been cryo freezing blue tuna so when they go extinct they can charge a premium for them which is totally barbaric.. hey how cod and chips anyone?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Every year, scientists are employed to give guidance to the EU on the maximum catch for the year. This in turn is then usually doubled or tripled by the EU. Add to that the illegal catches, and the total catch is probably a quadruple of the amount deemed sustainable by science. This has been going on for many years, and we are reaping the rewards.
If the scientific guidance was adhered to, there would sadly be massive job losses in the fishing industry and reliant industries, probably causing severe political outfall and loss of said politicians jobs. As we all know, politicians don't like giving up power, and so this situation will continue until fishing ceases to be commercially viable, or we vote people in who are less selfish.

I think that a much larger area of the worlds oceans should be set aside as marine conservation areas. We would all have to pay much more for our sea fish, and probably start eating other species but its better than having no fish left in the sea.

Anyone fancy some deep fried jellyfish or some crispy aromatic sea cucumber? mmmmn, tasty...

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Any real solutions would involve international agreement and enforcement, often in international waters with little passing traffic. In other words, unlikely.

We also can't ban other nations' fishing vessels from British waters thanks to the European superstate.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I find it quite disturbing that somebody from Tasmania is raising this point as I thought the fish stocks in Oz were good. Due to mans greed its obvious it threatens everywhere,take one for the pot or whats needed.Not saying you need a fishing permit though.Bu99er the 5o called landowners, your here once.

phil

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I find it quite disturbing that somebody from Tasmania is raising this point as I thought the fish stocks in Oz were good. Due to mans greed its obvious it threatens everywhere,take one for the pot or whats needed.Not saying you need a fishing permit though.Bu99er the 5o called landowners, your here once.

phil

Oh PS
The official border on the east coast for Scotland and England fishing rights is DUNDEE,arranged on the same day as the opening of the Scottish Parliament,HHHMMMMMMMMM.
another tony bLIAR fixit

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that stopping fishing for a few years is the answer however I think the responsibillity for future fishstocks lies on 3 different parties, The governing bodies and the fishing companies obviously but just as important i think is US! As consumers its natural for us to want the best quality for the cheapest price, but i think we are just as resposible as the two above. We should be looking more into what we are buying and from where, and maybe instead of that cod on a friday night why not try something that is a little more sustainable or buy a locally caught river trout etc i guarantee it will be 10 times tastier than the good ole fried fish from round the corner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE