Shotgun?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Waiting times vary hugely from county to county, I'm expecting to wait for 3 months for my FAC variations. Have a bit of a google for waiting times or check you police's web site; I think yours are quite slow so 5 weeks isn't that long.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I have my interview next week with the feo. Can anyone reveal what this is likely to entail other than the position of the cabinet? Are there any trick questions or pitfalls to avoid?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No tricks - just a general chat to ascertain your understanding of shooting and the law. Just be a calm, sensible considered person and you will be fine. Bear in mind a shotgun certificate is your right unless the police can show a reason why you should not have one, but none of us want guns in the hands of the irresponsible - they are just trying to check that you are a sensible, calm, informed person.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
Cheers for a swift reply. Calm and sensible I am. In fact downright over cautious when it comes to guns. Also have 10 years of TA weapons handling both pistols and the usual stuff. So why am I actually worried? Don't know but I am...

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Cheers for a swift reply. Calm and sensible I am. In fact downright over cautious when it comes to guns. Also have 10 years of TA weapons handling both pistols and the usual stuff. So why am I actually worried? Don't know but I am...

It is normal to be a bit apprehensive, particularly if it is your 1st application and initial grant of a SGC, just remember that it is an informal 'interview' and not an interrogation, and the FEO is usually a civillian employee who probably knows less about firearms and legislation than you do, he/she is not there to catch you out, but to check on your security arrangements etc, all will be well.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Round our way they are usually ex Police Officers who shoot themselves and know there guns etc. And last time I looked all Police Officers were civilians rather than military, though a few are ex.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Give em a chase up - nothing to lose! They are civil servants - nothing wrong with expecting polite, professional, prompt service from the police ( or teachers or what have you) - you pay they wages and are entitled to decent service.

UKarmr

Feb 22, 2012
N Yorks
The main thing to remember with the FEO is that they will also be looking for non verbal clues to your sanity.
I would suggest if you have a framed picture of Michael Ryan on the wall, your wife is very timid and flinches everytime you speak then you may well have some explaining to do!

As to the Armoury thing, according to MOD regs any privately owned firearms should be kept in the unit armoury.
I do know that my unit has approx 10-15 guys with FAC/ SGC. there is exactly one rifle in the armoury........
discretion is good.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Perhaps one of the most ubiquitous shotguns the world over is the Remington 870. I have been using one for quite some time now. Mossberg also produces the model 500 series which is pretty good but I am not a fan of the safety on them. My brother uses the Winchester model 1200 but again I do not like the action bar lock.
For use in the UK the 26 inch barrel is probably the thing to have in the field. We tend to use shorter barrels due to the thick brush that we hunt in. The upland hunters anyway. The migratory bird guys still use long barrels.

One of the reasons that I like the Remington 870 is the various configurations for various jobs. For general small game hunting I can leave it as is, for slugs I can slap on the optics rail and a low power optic, on Canoe trips I can slap on a flash light to light up bears that wander into camp. The angled grip helps an old broken hand cycle the action a little easier and a pistol grip stock assists with speed shooting, reloading and shouldering. The open choke barrel makes any sort of ammunition possible including bear bangers and emergency flares.
hunting-07.jpg

870.jpg

It is the most reliable and dependable shotgun I have used and comes on most of my trips that are not traveling within user friendly provincial and national parks. There are several finish standards too with a choice of wooden or synthetic furniture.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Not heard anything yet :p They said a couple of weeks on 11th December. So do I call them next week or should I just be patient?

Have you got it yet? I finally chased my FAC variation and they're just about to send it out, they did seem to get a bit more snowed under than usual over Christmas it seems.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ask him for his ID - seriously - just shows you to be security conscious.

Bet he has to fish it out of the car ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I wouldn't bother for a uniform copper. Its also not a big stress for you right now, however if someone is going to be alone with me in my home when I unlock the cabinets and hand him multiple rifles, shotguns etc. to check, I think it is appropriate to ensure they are who they say they are. It feels the responsible thing to do. Given you are applying not renewing, I guess its less of a worry at this point.

I also make them tea and biscuits and we have a good chat about stuff - it certainly doesn't pay to be rude - but polite and security conscious is, I think, appropriate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE