Shotgun cartridge match box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Has anyone ever tried making one of those match boxes out of a couple of shotgun cartridges as per Ray's Bushcraft Book.? I've tried a couple of times but end up with a blob of melted plastic in the cap end that I can't get out. Any tips please :-o

Thanks

Nick

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Heat the cartridge by the metal end gently, just enough to soften the plastic a little bit. Then grasp the metal and with one set of pliers and the plastic part with another and twist gently. It should work loose, if not, apply a bit more heat. This technique has worked for me before although I've never gone as far as making the actual match safe :shock:

It is tricky but it's part knack so you don't melt the plastic and end up with a mess.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Falling,

I've made several, empty cartridges are things I've usually got plenty of!

I've found the best heat source is a tealite or candle, holding the empty vertical above the flame so all the heat goes into the metal. Some brands of cartride just dont seem to want to come apart as easily as others. - Oh, make sure its a fired case, not just one someone has cut the end off, if you cook off a primer it'll ruin your day!

I do like this matchbox, it holds enough matches for a weekend and isn't too bulky.

It also joins the list of things I've tried to fit in a 12 bore that isn't a real cartridge! Other items include Opinel knives, packets of polos etc!

Hope the above helps,

Dave

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks chaps, I'll give these a go later. I want to make a couple and keep some emergency tinder in one too. A bit small but maybe with 2 - 3 for tinder and one for the matches will suffice

Appreciated :bu:

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hi Nick

You can put both tinder and matches in the same safe - just fill the space above the matches with some cotton wool. This also has the advantage of preventing the matches from rubbing against each other with possible ignition.

I've made several - I'll bring one down at the next meet.

Take care

Bob :-D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Thanks Bob that'll be good. I'll have another go before then, on what some of the others have suggested. Before I've used a pair of pliers to hold the cartridge over the flame and a gloved hand to try and twist the cap off. I think Adi007 idea of using 2 pairs of pliers sounds good. I'll give all the suggestions a go and see which works best.
Done your weather yet ? :z:

Take care :-D

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Falling, another trick is to note that some cartridges have a thick plastic cup inside that stands higher than the brass. It's another way of reinforcing the cartridge against the pressure of a heavy charge or heavy load.
If you cut the skin of one cartridge off flush with the level of the brass, the inner cup stands proud and can then be pushed into the open end of a second cartridge to make a tight friction fit lid. I've found some Sellier & Bellot cases like this. There is a bit less space inside because of the extra plastic. Also - keep an eye open for empty magnum shells if you want something a bit longer with plenty of brass to make a good seal by Ray's method. Cheers.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
On a similar note, I managed to fit approx. 75 swan vesta matches in a standard film canister with the heads all pointing up and a cut down tea light on top!

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I'll put a pic up tonight Fiacha unless someone beats me to it this afternoon.

I got bored trying to gently heat the cartridge so just chucked it in the fire at home and retreved it from the ash in the morning. Downside was the brass is scorched and a long way from being shiney. Works ok though. I will try the boiling water method next I think.

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
thank tenbears.
just trying to picture it in my head. is it as simple as pushing the brass from one cartridge over the crimped end of the other ?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Pretty much fiacha. The difficult bit is getting the lose cap clean of plastic so it fits and gives a tight seal. The tendancy is to melt plastic into the brass cap which makes it not fit over the other one. After that it is just a quick trim of the crimped end and the second cap fits over the opening.

W

Walkabout

is it as simple as pushing the brass from one cartridge over the crimped end of the other ?
You have to trim off the crimping or it wont seal properly. Also rub candle wax around the inside of the cap to make it really watertight.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I tried this - I had some Eley Alphamax cases from a wildfowling trip. I thought they would be ideal as the brass cap is deeper than on an ordinary cartridge.

I couldn't get it off without wrecking it!

Thinking about it, although I am sure it can be done, and it is good to make things with your hands, I wonder if this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. A 35mm film case is lighter, probably more waterproof, holds more matches, and doesn't look like ammunition!

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I made one of these about a year ago but tend not to use it much. 35mm film cases are better in my experience, being a bit larger they are easier to find, especially if you put some bright coloured adhesive tape round them. Also you can fit a few other bits and pieces in them sich as a candle.

If you make one and show people they might ask you to knock them one up but beware, the fumes given off by hot plastic contain cyanide so you do need alot of ventilation or you'll fet ill.

Their main use seems to be a curiosity / novelty / conversation piece, make one take it to a pub and when someone asks for a light get it out and the chances are it'll give you the start of a conversation about bushcraft.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
"Their main use seems to be a curiosity / novelty / conversation piece, make one take it to a pub and when someone asks for a light get it out and the chances are it'll give you the start of a conversation about bushcraft."

What a great idea - much more convenient than taking out your billy and clickstand :)

Cheers

JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE